• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wording in Requested Letter of Resignation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

beminohio

After (not so wisely) disclosing to my employer that I was looking at opportunities elsewhere, I've been asked to submit a Letter of Resignation, effective for the end of the year.

Appears that if I refuse, I simply can be fired then and there. But it would allow me to apply for unemployment benefits.

A lawyer I contacted suggested that there might be a way to word a Letter of Resignation that would still allow me to get unemployment benefits.

Any suggestions on the credibility of this? (The state is Ohio.)

[Edited by beminohio on 11-23-2000 at 08:52 AM]

R

rrg956

In most, if not all states, involuntary termination is required to qualify for unemployment insurance and only then if you are not terminated for refusing to carry out your duties. If a lawyer told you that you can prepare a letter of resignation that preserves your right to unemployment insurance, hire him and have him draft the letter. If he is wrong and you lose your unemployment insurance, you may seek recourse against him. Otherwise, you may choose to refuse to prepare such a letter and take your chances with your current employer. I am not a licensed attorney and this may not be construed as legal advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">