• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Work after contract expires, implied contract?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

ask

What is the name of your state? CO

I was a contractor for a local company from Jan 19, 2004. I received a 6-month contract, which described payment to me in cash and in stock or stock options in the company. After the contract expired, it was not renewed by the company, even though I asked my supervisor about it several times. Everything was proceeding according to the original contract, however, and I was doing my work, submitting invoices to the company, and receiving cash payments.
I received notice of termination last week (Oct 7, 2004), and when I submitted my final invoice, I was told that I would not get any shares/options for the period after the 6 month contract.
So basically, what they are doing is they are picking some things out of the original contract that suit them, and dropping the ones that do not.

1. Do I have any recourse to get the shares/options beyond the 6 months? The contract does not make a distinction between the 2 types of payment, nor does it say the shares are a one-time deal. Is there anything like an "implied" contract that should have existed after the original 6 month contract, since I was retained with full duties and rights for nearly 3 months, as far as I knew?

2. If there is such a thing as "implied" contract, should it not have the same terms as the original?

3. The original contract called for a written notice of termination, which was tied to termination of compensation. I have not received one explicitly, but when I questioned the company lawyer about this, he said that the act of communicating by e-mail serves as the written notice. Is this true?

Beth3

Your contract expired. You're free to walk away, you're free to try and negotiate a new contract, or your free to continue to stay there and work as long as they'll have you and under whatever conditions they elect to impose, including those that are just favorable to them.

The original contract called for a written notice of termination, which was tied to termination of compensation. I have not received one explicitly, but when I questioned the company lawyer about this, he said that the act of communicating by e-mail serves as the written notice. Is this true? Last time I checked, e-mail was a form of written communication.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">