• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Work for Client if Layed Off?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

KathyMaz

Illinois

When I was hired I signed a contract stating I could not work for a client of my employer for 12 months after my termination.

I was layed off because the client I was assigned to could not pay my employer and there was no further work for me. The client has since contacted me and is interested in hiring me directly. The employer is still suing the client for the fees they never received.

I don't recall any provisions in the contract about what types of termination could change the 12-month period. Since I was layed off is the contract I signed voided? Am I free to become an employee of the client?

M

mary hartman

As long as the client owes your boss money...NO you cant work for them...

When the client pays the bill in full and terminates the agreement, then there should be no problem.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">