• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

workers comp. charges

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Legal or ethical question? Need answer either way:
Freelance artist does Faux Finishing on walls in the home of Interior Design Co's client. Client pays Int.Des.Co. who had previously agreed upon hourly rate, who pays for supplies, travel, etc with artist. After the job, Int.Des.Co. says it must deduct for Workers Comp from time sheet/invoice before paying artist. Int.Des.Co. also explained job is costing him more because of problems with client (not related to artist's work) and he "will not lose more money on this job". Sounds to me like he is trying to hang on to more of his commission at the expense of my paycheck. Is he legally allowed to deduct this money after the fact? He said he "forgot" to mention it when we were discussing payment. This is my first job of this type and he has a fairly good sized business that has many employees so I feel he was responsible for telling me about related expenses of this kind when we were discussing payment. Please help as soon as possible. If it matters, the amount of the invoice is $425.00. Workers Comp says the rate in Florida is $24.40 per $100 but claimed this is an ethical question on whether or not he can deduct from me after the job. I would like to know the legal answer. Thank you. Susan

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">