• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Working 2 full time (W-2) home based jobs.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

inertia81

I wanted to know if I can work 2 full time W-2 home based jobs. Now both these companies are in the same industry so technically they are competitors. However, I did not come across any clause in the offer letter that potentially prohibits me from working for a competitor. Also, am I legally obliged to inform one or both my employers about the job. Also, can any employer find out about my other job through tax documents or other means. P.S Both these jobs are 100K annually. Home based, 60-70 travel. Regards, A

xylene

Given you salary and the stakes involved you REALLY ought to retain a lawyer to get an answer you can bank on as well consulting with a tax advisor.

eerelations

Basically, it's legal for you to work two jobs. It's also legal for one or both employers to fire you for this.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
There is no law that limits how many jobs you can take. However, there is also no law that says your employer(s) are prohibited from firing you because you have another job. Essentially, this is between you and your employers. The law does not care either way (limited exceptions apply).

xylene

Y'all have definitely read the whatever the op is expected sign for these jobs and are sure he didn't misunderstand whatever he 'come across' or simply miss something.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Y'all have definitely read the whatever the op is expected sign for these jobs and are sure he didn't misunderstand whatever he 'come across' or simply miss something.
Why? It doesn't change anything, legally speaking. An offer letter isn't a contract in almost all cases, and even if it is, it wouldn't change the answers.

eerelations

Agree with Zigner. Our responses are based on the information OP provided, not on guesses unsupported by evidence.

In addition, while it's possible that OP signed one or two contracts and simply forgot about it/them (a long shot for someone with the mental wherewithal to earn $100K+ at one job), and therefore might be in breach of contract with one or both employers, it's unlikely in the extreme that one or both contracts prohibits OP'e employer(s) from firing him for said breach(es).

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
My response is based on what the law does and does not say. It is not based on what a contract might or might not say. What a contract might or might not permit has no relevance to what the law says. I answered what the law says.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No one's mad, but we did, in fact, answer the question. If the OP's expectations were that we could give him a cast in stone guarantee, then his expectations of a message board were too high.

eerelations

OK, I see two questions we may not have addressed:

"...am I legally obliged to inform one or both my employers about the job."

Answer: No.

"...can any employer find out about my other job through tax documents or other means."

Answer: Tax documents? Probably not. Other means? Yes, there are lots of ways one employer can find out about your job with the other employer. Most (if not all) of those ways won't be within your control.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
OK, I see two questions we may not have addressed:

"...am I legally obliged to inform one or both my employers about the job."

Answer: No.

"...can any employer find out about my other job through tax documents or other means."

Answer: Tax documents? Probably not. Other means? Yes, there are lots of ways one employer can find out about your job with the other employer. Most (if not all) of those ways won't be within your control.
Thanks ee - I believe the first one was answered only by implication, and the second wasn't answered (but really should have been obvious to the OP)

eerelations

Thanks ee - I believe the first one was answered only by implication, and the second wasn't answered (but really should have been obvious to the OP)
Agree. I had figured the first one was really already answered (albeit indirectly) but decided to ensure all questions were answered directly (as this seems to be a big bone of contention for someone).

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">