• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Working early with no pay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

babygirlunique

What is the name of your state? TEXAS

I recently started working at a catalog company holding a seasonal position as a catalog associate (placing orders for customers). I have an STL (Supervising Team Leader) which is not the official supervisor (there are many STL's in this company location) who insists that all the people that he supervises in his group (which is about 5 or 6, me included) come into work 10 minutes early each day (5 days a week = 50 minutes a week) to prepare for work without clocking in. For instance, "we" as seasonal employees need to pick up a headphone and alcohol pads (to clean the headphone) on one side of the building and then go to the other side of the building and find an open computer, clean our headphones, add on our ear foam to the ear piece of the headphone, and log on the computer. He wants us to do this off the clock. He states that if we log onto the computer a minute late, we are considered late. For instance, I go into work at 9:00am. I clock in at 9:00am. It takes about 5 to 6 minutes to prepare and log on my computer. He states that I am considered late if I do not log on my computer at 9:00am which would be impossible to do due to the prep time. We are not issued lockers like the regular associates, which takes them less prep time because they have lockers in a close area and they have an issued headphone and do not have to go through the daily routine the seasonal associates have to go through. My question is: Is it legally alright in the state of Texas to insist employees to arrive 10 minutes before their scheduled time (50 minutes a week) off the clock (with no pay) or they are considered late if logged into the computer after their scheduled time?

Beth3

If you are required to be at work ten minutes before the start of your shift and perform duties that benefit your employer, that time MUST be compensated if you are a non-exempt (hourly paid) employee. You may file a complaint with Texas's Department of Labor for this wage and hour violation.

As to the logging-on requirement and tardiness, that is entirely a matter of company policy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">