• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Working for old clients

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

blas_51

I was recently let go of my employment (11/01)with a California firm. At that time I was told that I could not talk or try to start up any business with any old client. The information that I had was confidential. I was responsbile for all contract nenegotiations. I never signed any agreement stating that I could not. Please help me. As I have been contacted by a few of my old clients to represent them on a consulting bases.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I'm no expert on non-competes but I believe they're illegal in California.

L

loku

Non-compete clauses are illegal in California, but if you know trade secrets, and it is not possible to do your work without disclosing or using the trade secrets, or if it is unlikely that you will not do so, they could sue you for that. You might well consider engaging a California intellectual property law attorney to assess your situation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">