• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

workmans comp?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

SES12

i started a job 2 weeks ago and was working last sunday night, i work at safeway grocerie store as a checker. I was loading sodas under a customers cart and her child pushed the cart fast throwing me off balance and snapped my ankle. Since i only had 10 minutes of work left and my feet were hurting,i did not go looking for anyone to tell about the injury i figured i'd be fine in the morning. When i got home and too my shoe off my ankle swelled unreal. I put ice on it and figured i'd be fine. The next morning I found i couldn't walk on it and called my boss right away, and gave her all the detials. She asked if I just wanted to take the day off and see how it was, and I said yes. The next day it was worse and I asked to see a doctor....she said " oh you mean this is workmans compensation" i said yes. So she called the nurse and I was sent to the company doctor. The doctor said that she thought my ankle was fractured on one side and torn ligiments on the other side, and i was sent for X-rays.
They tried to X-ray my leg????????
I told them it was nothing wrong with my leg it was my ankle and showed them where. They X-rayed everywhere BUT where I said it hurt.
It has now been 2 weeks.....I've been to the doctors 2X's and the correct X-rays have not been taken yet. The doctor said I should not be working but they are forced by safeway to return all employees to work, I'm now in a wheelchair and nothings been done except pain killers and an ace bandage. My ankle is huge, and 2 times as painful as it was to begin with. Do I have the right to see my own doctor? And should I get a lawyer?

C

Comp survivor

Now, aren't you glad they didn't amputate?
Too Bad it probably won't be the same Judge who laid out the carny, but try to locate a good Comp. attorney firm in your area, ask if they won against (un)Safeway.
List of all states comp pages:
www.comp.state.nc.us/ncic/pages/all50.htm

Good Luck- The battle has just begun.

S

SES12

thanks for the reply.....I am going to use the same lawyer I used in my other case...lol
you must read alot of postings in here.
Although my ankle seems to be finially healing on its own. Although I did go to the hospital last night and they said that the doctors should have put on adleast a brace. Also the Safeway nurse said the same thing ...the doctors answer was....we didn't have any.

B

babaloofa

Another Comp survivor here. And if you have survived Comp, you definately have a split personality! Or gauranteed some kind of mental problem! LOL This is nothing new. The one thing anyone has to remember about getting hurt at work. Report it immediately. Whatever it is. Do not leave work that day without telling someone, preferably in writing and have them sign it. Where I worked before my injury, they used the "we don't have any" excuse for filling out accident reports. That is why you write it out, exactly what happened and make someone in management sign it. You learn alot too late after you have been dragged through the system.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">