• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Workplace privacy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sunnydaze

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Arizona

Recently my employer went into my private password protected yahoo email account. We do have a policy for limited private use of our work computers, we also have a policy that my employer can look into my computer use. I never thought that this policy would allow my employer to go into my private email account. My question is this, can my employer access private email accounts wothout my consent?

S

seniorjudge

sunnydaze said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Arizona

Recently my employer went into my private password protected yahoo email account. We do have a policy for limited private use of our work computers, we also have a policy that my employer can look into my computer use. I never thought that this policy would allow my employer to go into my private email account. My question is this, can my employer access private email accounts wothout my consent?
If you used the boss' computer to access your private e-mail account and you left stuff from that account on his computer that you use at work, then it's his computer and he can look at what is on it.

If he used his computer to hack into your account and that account is not on his computer that you use, that is a crime.

sunnydaze

I accessed my personal yahoo email account from work (password protected) my email was not on my work computer but sitting on an yahoo server. I did not download it to my work computer I would just check it from work at thats it. My work has a program that can check each key stroke that is how my password was obtained.

Beth3

The moral of the story is that if you don't want your employer to have access to your personal business, you don't conduct it on company time, including logging on to your personal e-mail account from work. Your employer has not done anything unlawful.

sunnydaze

Arizona

I accessed my personal yahoo email account from work (password protected) my email was not on my work computer but sitting on an yahoo server. I did not download it to my work computer I would just check it from work on break or off duty at a hotel (travel status) thats it. My work has a program that can check each key stroke that is how my password was obtained.

Beth3

How many times are you going to post the same question? The answer is still the same - your employer did not act unlawfully. You used THEIR computer systems to access your e-mail account.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">