• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Write Up Leading to Termination?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jchoe

What is the name of your state? TX
I am the only Asian American female in my dept. Unless my boss subconsciously thinks I should do more because I'm Asian, I honestly don't believe it's a factor. (I brought it up in case you may have a different opinion as you read the situation.)
I am non-exempt and maintain 2 products. 1 has 20+ people. The other has 100+ people. My boss was supposed to have someone take over the 20+ product in Jan. That got moved to Feb, then March. Actually it didn't occur until mid March. I communicated the need throughout that time and the fact that there weren't even any attempts to start the transition. I have still to maintain 20% of the work load for this product. The 100+ product was supposed to receive a secondary individual to assist me in Feb. That got pushed back to March, then April, now May. Although there were opportunities to train and prep that second person, it was not taken. My boss was the one who decided on all the push backs. I communicated the impact that would make but still received a write up for not completing all of March's tasks. I was told that if the next month was not completed it would escalate to the next phase. I spoke with another manager in the dept and found out the industry standard ratio is 1 to every 50 staff. I have a combined of 120+ staff. That manager maintains a product that is considered less difficult than the 100+ product and utilizes the same resources or better, (systems, databases, etc...). The manager confirmed the ratio should be the same for me. My boss stated that this was incorrect and it should be 85. I checked the WEB. It confirmed the other manager's number. Also, the exempt staff for the 100+ product had their duties reduced because of the large staff. The exempt staff have not been able to complete them even with the reduction. I also believe that they are not being addressed as I am for the incompleted tasks. I have been communicating the need for assistance since Feb. My boss acknowledged and continues to acknowledge the fact that I need to have help to maintain both products. I am concerned that I will not gain the assistance I need before I get fired. So Question: Should I still be held to the higher expectation than the others including staff that are considered at a higher level than I? What about the inconsistencies in the ratio? Is the first write up valid and indisputable. If I get written up again is that indisputable also? What options do I have?
I do plan on speaking with my boss about this in my next meeting with him. I hoped that I could gain some advice/knowledge until then that may help. I also plan to communicate to him that I will, if needed, escalate my concerns to our human resources dept.

I appreciate your help. Excuse the violin noise in the background.

Last edited:

Beth3

No laws require the boss to make sound business decisions or that prevent him from holding a subordinate accountable for the completion of tasks even if there is not sufficient time/staff to accomplish them all. If you wish to escallate the situation and speak to someone senior to your boss about getting adequate help in your departments, that is up to you.

Beth3

P.S. It's quite possible that your boss has been seeking approval from his boss to add staff in your areas for months and has had his requests denied. He's probably not going to tell you about that though.

jchoe

I found out something else today.

Beth3 said:
No laws require the boss to make sound business decisions or that prevent him from holding a subordinate accountable for the completion of tasks even if there is not sufficient time/staff to accomplish them all. If you wish to escallate the situation and speak to someone senior to your boss about getting adequate help in your departments, that is up to you.
I discovered today that my boss reduced the tasks for a co-worker that has less of a head count for her product and also has a secondary person who is also assisting her in the same product. Would this make any difference?

I am not interested in suing the company. What I am interested in finding out is if I have any legal standpoint in having the write up overturned and/or dispute any escalations of the same write up.

Last edited:

jchoe

He already has that person.

Beth3 said:
P.S. It's quite possible that your boss has been seeking approval from his boss to add staff in your areas for months and has had his requests denied. He's probably not going to tell you about that though.
He told me in Feb who the secondary person to assist me was going to be. That person was already a part of my dept. He only needed to be trained. Each week of Feb there were training classes being completed for the product with 100+ head count. Each week of Feb my boss had the opportunity to have the secondary trained so he would be prepared to assist by March. Instead he had the secondary train for 3 days in April what should have taken 3 weeks. Hopefully he will be able to assist this month. I feel that all the decisions my boss has made is negatively affecting the ability for the product tasks to be completed. Plus he was made aware of what the outcome would be without the secondary assistance. Is there any way that I can hold my boss accountable for not providing the resources needed to complete the product tasks?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No, there is no way for you to hold your boss accountable. No, there is no way you can use the law to force your employer to overturn the write up. No, it does not make any difference that he reduced the tasks of another employee.

No matter how you slice it, no matter unfair you may think it (and I'm not saying you're wrong), your boss has not violated any laws and nothing you have described gives you any legal recourse.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">