• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Writing recommondations

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I think this is the right place to ask this?

What is the proper etiquette for writing a recommondation for a friend who I applying for a job at the company I work for? I have only worked there for about 4 months.

Is there a "time" limit on how soon one should be recommending others and who would I send it to if it is ok to write one??

Thanks a bunch!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Dash8Driver said:
I think this is the right place to ask this?

What is the proper etiquette for writing a recommondation for a friend who I applying for a job at the company I work for? I have only worked there for about 4 months.

Is there a "time" limit on how soon one should be recommending others and who would I send it to if it is ok to write one??

Thanks a bunch!

My response:

Did you have a question about law?

IAAL

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Dash, that is less a legal issue than a company-specific question. If you worked for me, all you'd need to do is come in and talk to me. But in a large corporation, they may have specific procedures for recommendations.

What you should do is talk with someone in the HR office, who will be able to tell if your employer accepts employee recommendations (most do); what procedures you want to follow; who to send it to; and what, if any, recompense is due you (you didn't mention this, but some companies will pay a bonus to an employee who successfully recommends a new employee. In most cases where this is the case, your friend would not only have to be hired, but stay on as an employee for a specified length of time - 90 days or 6 months - before the bonus would be due you. Not as many companies offer this now as they did in the 90s when new employees were hard to come by, but the benefit does still exist.).

Procedures differ with the company.

Beth3

What is the proper etiquette for writing a recommondation for a friend who I applying for a job at the company I work for? I have only worked there for about 4 months. In addtion to what cbg advised, you also need to consider whether this is someone you really want to recommend to your present employer, friend or not. If you truly think he or she would make a good employee, then by all means make the recommendation. But if you don't honestly feel that way about your friend, then don't. Not all great friends make great employees.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">