• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Written Reprimand

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Laurie53

New York

Today I was given a written reprimand after bringing up in a "staff" meeting of my peers the subject of raises and what if any is the policy regarding such.
I was told my work is excellent, my work ethics beyond approach but I stir up trouble among my peers and it continued.. also brought up against me is that I ask where an attorney is during the day, the reason for asking is that I might have a motion that needs to get out and I need to know of his and/or her return. I was told it was NONE of my business and I had not right to ask such a question. That was put in my written reprimand. Also that any questions that I do have regarding my salary, etc. is NOT to be taken up during an open staff meeting run by the managing attorney or office manager but to be brought before the head partner. Because of this, I was given a written reprimand.

I feel this was discrimination as I "stirred" the already sensitive pot.

How many written reprimands are they legally obligated to give before a firing. It was stated that, "The purpose of the meeting was to invite Laurie to express any questions and concerns she may have, to define Laurie's job description and to specify those aspects of Laurie's performance which require immediate rectification if her employement relationship with the firm is to continue.

I also must be nice to everyone, I am not to critique and not foster ill feelings among co-workers.

This happening after I asked the question of raises during a staff meeting which I told was NOT on the agenda.

Thank you.

Sockeye

This is about as far from legal descrimination as you can get. There is no legal violations for writing someone up.

This is actually something that many employees would benefit from, being stated clearly and directly that certain behaviors will not be tolerated.

A company can choose to terminate and employee for no write-ups or as many as they want to give. Usually there is a company policy that an employer chooses to follow but retains the right to not if deemed necessary.

You made some missteps, got your hand slapped, now take it as a learning experiance and continue with your excellant work.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
How many written reprimands are they legally obligated to give before a firing.

None. They can legally fire you with no written reprimands whatsoever unless you have a bona fide contract that says otherwise.

Laurie53

Sockeye said:
This is about as far from legal descrimination as you can get. There is no legal violations for writing someone up.

This is actually something that many employees would benefit from, being stated clearly and directly that certain behaviors will not be tolerated.

A company can choose to terminate and employee for no write-ups or as many as they want to give. Usually there is a company policy that an employer chooses to follow but retains the right to not if deemed necessary.

You made some missteps, got your hand slapped, now take it as a learning experiance and continue with your excellant work.
Are you an attorney?

Laurie53

cbg said:
How many written reprimands are they legally obligated to give before a firing.

None. They can legally fire you with no written reprimands whatsoever unless you have a bona fide contract that says otherwise.

I have heard that in NYS that is is 3 reprmands. This is wrong?

Laurie53

Laurie53 said:

I have head that it is 3 before they can fire but it is trumped up charges, only because I asked about raises in a staff meeting and stirried up all the staff.

pattytx

Boy, you are impatient aren't you? :(

Reprimands are not required by law in any state. It's known as "at-will employment". What you heard was wrong.

And many responders here are HR professionals with many years of experience who know more about employment law than many attorneys, because we work with these laws on a daily basis.

Do you have a link to the law about reprimands while on Worker's Comp? That doesn't make sense. How can you do something at work that the employer doesn't like when you aren't working? And what does Work Comp have to do with your situation anyway?

Asking the question multiple times is not going to change the answer.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl

Yes, this is wrong. In all 50 states, it is entirely up to the employer how many reprimands to provide or if to provide any. Nor do they have to be consistant; they can decide to offer three reprimands for coming in late, and no reprimands for someone who commits violence in the workplace, or who is caught red-handed stealing from the company.

Asking the question multiple times is not going to change the answer. No matter how long you argue the question, or how many times you ask the question after midnight expecting an immediate response, the answer is still going to be that your employer acted legally.

Sockeye

Laurie53 said:
Are you an attorney?
No, and trust me, you don't want the attorneys that hang out hear unleashed on you.

They'll tear apart your postings like a Pitt-Bull on a baby.

Sockeye

Laurie, just a post with some advice. Take it or leave it it's up to you.

The answers given were all correct so I won't go into that. You cleary feel wronged and are searching very hard for something to justify your anger.

I want to encourage you to look at why you were given the warning from a different perspective.

There are company meetings that I dread, usually they are the ones run by a weak facilitator and w/o a clear agenda. Meetings like this are nothing buy a huge waste of important time and money, especially if they include Lawyers of the company that are not working billable hours because of it.

If people are allowed to shout out subjects that are not on the agenda and are not pressing-need-attention-now problems, then the meeting does nothing but mire in rambleing, ineffective bitch sessions.

Sensitive matters like raise policies (especially when it sounds like they dont have a published policy) is going to snatch everything that the meeting was intended for and toss it aside like a candy bar wrapper, then send everyone off thinking of one subject only, "Why don't they have a raise policy?" "I should have gotten a raise", "When is my next raise coming?" etc.

What you are seeing is you only asked one l'il question, what they are seeing is you made a private matter public that not only compromised the agenda and purpose of the meeting but also many of the employee's attitudes and energies for that day and likely longer.

Very good point Sockeye.

I understand her frustration, but certainly see if from the employer's side too.

Laurie, consider yourself lucky that you didn't get terminated like me! My stupid stunt cost me my job, and I would be very happy today if I had just gotten written up--like a previous poster said...chuck it up to a learning experience because that's all it is. To succeed in any company you have to learn to master their game.

BelizeBreeze

Laurie53 said:
How many written reprimands are they legally obligated to give before a firing. .
ZERO, ZILCH, NADA....there is no law in New York or any of the other 49 states which sets a limit either up or down on the number of reprimands an employer must or must not give before firing.

You can be fired for being a troublemaker, for being a redhead or for coming in 5 minutes early.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">