• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Written up- Records changed.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tayla

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Pennsylvania

Scenario: Sales rep ordered and delivered products to a customer. Invoice was created. Invoice remained open and payable. A month later ( terms are net 30 days) , the sales rep advises to "void" the transaction and re-issue a new invoice. Our software audit/tracking doesn't allow this unless a return of product or damage is involved. Crediting accounts is another choice if they paid and we owe refund. When I questioned the sales rep on the request to Void, the response I got was " Because they didn't get govt approval at the time" the Date must be this month on the billing not last month. I said that it remains payable under the original date of receipt for product. She threw a fit, So I did as demanded. Our Corporate keeps strict records particularly since this is a Govt account that is being modified and asked that I stop in for a "talk". That talk turned into a write up: Which means: three days of no pay, 90 day probation and If for any reason I veer from any policy I can be immediately terminated. I respect company policy and understand the context of the write up. I simply do not agree that I should take the fall on this. This was ordered thru the sales rep and when it suits them (corporate)...They say the sales rep determines the accounts and transactions and its my job to do as told! Do I have any recourse at this time in having this record (write Up) Removed from my employee file? I think its not entirely accurate and deserves reconsideration based on the sales reps demand.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
There are no Federal laws and no laws in any state related to when an employer can and cannot write up an employee. The law is not going to force the employer to remove the write up from your file. Period.

However, you are in one of the few states where the law gives you the right to write a rebuttal to anything in your personnel file with which you do not agree. Please note that in PA, that right is not absolute. You would have to petition a hearing with the Bureau of Labor Standards of the Department of Labor and Industry, and after the hearing the Bureau *may* authorize you to insert a statement giving your side of the story. Of they may not.

commentator

It appears you forgot who your supervisor was. You should have stood your ground with the sales rep. It is doubtful if you would have been reprimanded, because it is doubtful if they'd have gone above you and demanded you be disciplined for doing something that was generally against company practice. But they did manage to intimidate you into doing it for them, and caused you to get into trouble. Of course there's also that the company could have fired you for failing to accommodate the sales rep, too. There's really no labor law that says a company has to follow even its own policies or behave in a rational manner.

Really, you did what they say you did anyway, why would you think they should have to remove it? One of the first things you have to do on any job is establish who you report to and who you take the orders from. It isn't the sales reps, regardless of whether they ask you to do something or not.

If you'd been fired, unemployment benefits would've been a maybe in this case, as you hadn't been progressively disciplined for doing this before. But if you were to repeat the offense and were fired, you very likely would not stand a good chance of being approved for benefits. You have been warned, you have been told not to do this. Next time a sales rep tries to tell you what to do, tell this to them and refuse to discuss it further.

Last edited:

Tayla

It appears you forgot who your supervisor was. You should have stood your ground with the sales rep. It is doubtful if you would have been reprimanded, because it is doubtful if they'd have gone above you and demanded you be disciplined for doing something that was generally against company practice. But they did manage to intimidate you into doing it for them, and caused you to get into trouble. Of course there's also that the company could have fired you for failing to accommodate the sales rep, too. There's really no labor law that says a company has to follow even its own policies or behave in a rational manner.

Really, you did what they say you did anyway, why would you think they should have to remove it? One of the first things you have to do on any job is establish who you report to and who you take the orders from. It isn't the sales reps, regardless of whether they ask you to do something or not.

If you'd been fired, unemployment benefits would've been a maybe in this case, as you hadn't been progressively disciplined for doing this before. But if you were to repeat the offense and were fired, you very likely would not stand a good chance of being approved for benefits. You have been warned, you have been told not to do this. Next time a sales rep tries to tell you what to do, tell this to them and refuse to discuss it further.
Its a catch22 . I agree that I am responsible for the action . I agree that my superior carries the attitude that I am not to mess with revenue of any sales rep. So If I was Not written up by corporate, my immediate boss would have written me up for Not doing as his sales rep had demanded. I was seeking if there was any resolution to clarify in my records as I do NOT like having inaccurate information stated without a proper and reasonable rebuttal. So be it.
Appreciate the objective responses.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">