• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

written warning

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bombshell79

What is the name of your state? florida
i was fired because my employer said i stole $7. should i have gotten a written warning when they suspected i stole they money and then if it happened again i would be fired? i was employee for over 3 years with nothing bad in my personnel file.

Beth3

There are no laws which require an employer to have a policy of progressive discipline. And even employers who chose to have such a policy almost always put in a caveat that says they may invoke whatever level of discipline they feel appropriate, including immediate termination.

Theft in the workplace is a very serious offense. Most employers will terminate an employee immediately whom they believe to be a thief.

Unless you were working under an employment contract or CBA which guaranteed progressive discipline would always be followed regardless of the seriousness of the offense (which is unlikely) you have no basis to contest the employer's decision.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">