• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Written Warning

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

727Jetdoc

What is the name of your state? OHIO

This past evening at I was informed I was being put on 90 days written warning for excessive paper work errors. I am an Aircraft Mechanic and when we complete a certain task pertaining to a special certification on the aircraft, it requires a second signature on the paperwork we turn into records. Well I was informed over the past year I missed 5 of these sign-offs. Two were 3/07 and 10/07 and two more 11/07. I was "counseled" by my supervisor in November. He and I discussed this is something we rarely perform but when we do sometimes you can make the mistake of forgetting. He said he chose not to give me a written warning but rather address the other mechanics in a meeting about paying attention to paperwork.

I thought this was a dead issue. But today I find out that now after 3 months, I must be written up for this. I am on a 90days written warning. I want to know what limits can they go back and just write you up? I was never counseled the other times? I feel like someone is over stepping their bounderies and just trying to throw their weight around and say look at me I am the BOSS!!!

Corey

727Jetdoc

Senior Judge:

Thanks for your comments. But I do believe you are not following what I said or simply trying to be funny.

The issue is with a simple signature on a piece of paper. Not wether I performed the proper maintenance. When I complete a certain task for a certification, I turn in a form and it requires my second signature. This has absolutely no affect on the safety of flight. Just simply a clerical error. But I want to know if they legally can go back a year and write me up? In the past it was never address that this paperwork mistake was a big deal. Just sign where you missed and resubmit. The records department is just a second set of checks and balances to make sure we fill out our mounds of paper work correct.

Corey

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Unless you have a bona fide contract or CBA that specifically says otherwise, yes, they can legally go back a year. They can legally go back ten years. They can legally go back to the day you first reported to work. No laws dictate to the employer how or when someone can be written up.

ecmst12

That is not something that the law has anything to say about. Better make sure you do it right from now on.

xylene

Senior Judge:

Thanks for your comments. But I do believe you are not following what I said or simply trying to be funny.
Senior Judge is not trying to funny. Documentation is vitally important to correct repair of mission critical parts.

the issue is with a simple signature on a piece of paper.
A signature is very important. It is a simple matter you must not miss.

Not wether I performed the proper maintenance.
It certifies the work was done and done correctly.

When I complete a certain task for a certification, I turn in a form and it requires my second signature.
That is called 'signature verification'. It gives you pause to make sure the work was done and done correctly. If you aren't sure you go back and check.

This has absolutely no affect on the safety of flight.
Ah, but it does, because it means you have not mentally checked your work a second time.

ALSO, it does not provide the proper FAA / airline certification of compliance that would be vital to understanding any failure or god forbid air crash.

Just simply a clerical error.
Proper handling of clerical matters is VITAL to your job as an air mechanic.

But I want to know if they legally can go back a year and write me up?
See CBG's answer.

In the past it was never address that this paperwork mistake was a big deal.
This was a simple oversight by management, who sometimes make mistakes just like you. Just like you they must go back and correct them and take action to ensure mistakes don't happen.

Just sign where you missed and resubmit. The records department is just a second set of checks and balances to make sure we fill out our mounds of paper work correct.
The records department is vital to FAA compliance and legal protection in case of an accident.

It is not to smother you, but to protect you, your airline, your job and the jobs of your fellow mechanics.

Accurate record keeping is not an obstacle to your work. It is a vital part of your work.

Would you kick yourself if you found a missed screw on the workbench after putting a (INSERT THE NAME OF SOME PART COMPLEX PART - i'm no air mechanic.) back together. Damn right you would. Because it would mean you hadn't done the job right.

The signature is the same thing. When it is not there it means you have not done your job right.

727Jetdoc

Thanks to all for your replies. But I still don't agree with what the company has done. Each time the signature was missed it was addressed by the records department and we would correct the next day. Nothing else was said by my supervisors about any sort of corrective action. That is my point. Now a year later they decided to go back and make an issue of corrective actions. I feel this is just petty and a way to get rid of people. It seems someone last week ruffled managements feathers and they fired 8 people last week. Now they are appearently taking sneaky measures to find more people to weed out. Its a shame that the law doesnt protect the employees more. This has nothing to do with either I am an aircraft mechanic or simply a clerk at some sort of business. It has to do strictly with no addressing any sort of counseling or coaching at the time. For example when your son or daughter does something wrong last March and Now 11 months later your ground them for it.

Corey

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">