• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wromgful Lay-Off

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pcc905

IllinoisWhat is the name of your state?
In the state of Illinois, can a employer lay you offone day and put someone in your place the next day?

There is more to this but basically my exemployer told me that they could not cover my salary due to billing problems with the company that held our contract.
The very next day at the open of business he had already put into place an exemployee who was fired from our company and also the bosses party buddy. He was hired in at the same rate of pay as I was. My exboss also went as far as giving the dispatcher the week off with pay and telling me that he had to let her go because of not being able to cover her salary and then laying me off on friday for the same reason.

On Saturday she was back and the other individual was in place like nothing ever happened.

Do I have any legal recourse for this??

HomeGuru

pcc905 said:
IllinoisWhat is the name of your state?
In the state of Illinois, can a employer lay you offone day and put someone in your place the next day?

**A: yes and I did not read the rest.....

There is more to this but basically my exemployer told me that they could not cover my salary due to billing problems with the company that held our contract.
The very next day at the open of business he had already put into place an exemployee who was fired from our company and also the bosses party buddy. He was hired in at the same rate of pay as I was. My exboss also went as far as giving the dispatcher the week off with pay and telling me that he had to let her go because of not being able to cover her salary and then laying me off on friday for the same reason.

On Saturday she was back and the other individual was in place like nothing ever happened.

Do I have any legal recourse for this??

**A: see above.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The only way this would be illegal would be if you had some kind of VALID evidence that you were laid off BECAUSE OF your race, religion, national origin, or other protected characteristic. Letting you go so that they can hire the boss's buddy is certainly unfair, but it is not illegal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">