• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrong or Right??????????

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Ckret01

My buddy from Crestview,FL was fired and not sure if it was legal? I am from Illinois but maybe the laws differ?

Just wanted your opinions on it. The company I use to work for had full access to the internet, and everyone in the entire office has unfiltered, unblocked access to the entire net. Also, there are NO POLICIES or RULES regulating internet usage. Heck, I use to get FWDs from the Vice-President of the company about "Send a hug to a gazillion folks in the next 5 min, etc.."

I only used the internet for work-related research. But occasionally on my 15 min break or so I'd go to c**p.com to read up on posts to help troubleshoot my car problems. I don't have time to chat or browse the net, I barely had enough time as it was, and I was working non-stop, many times without lunch/dinner breaks.

Well, last month I was fired without reason. When I asked "why?" they wouldn't tell me. Finally she said it was because I was at c**p.com. I told her I was on my break, and she said that I was abusing company property/equipment by using their computer/internet to go to c**p.com

Well, I brought up the fact that we don't have monitoring software on our network and that everyone in the office leisurely browses the net, much more then I.

SHe then told me that she asked another of my co-workers (Thought I could trust folks in my own department) to go through my computer. Which I'm sure, by law, they have a right to do. When I tried to say anything else she told me to 'shut up and get out!"

The funny thing is that C**p.com and maybe a couple visits to another forum (like several weeks early) were the only 'non work' related ones they found.

I think there are other motives involved. But I've been unemployed for a month now. I worked there for 2 years before it happened.

Wish I could afford a lawyer. Now they are trying to content my reason for being fired/unemployment benefits. :(

Thoughts? Opinions?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">