• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

wrongful discharge

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Eddy

What is the name of your state? NY
Hi, could anybody suggest in what court should I submit an application to contest wrongful termination? Thank you.

pattytx

Are you sure you have a "wrongful termination" under the law for which you even have recourse? Have you contacted an attorney? You'd need one.

moburkes

What is the name of your state? NY
Hi, could anybody suggest in what court should I submit an application to contest wrongful termination? Thank you.
And, you don't submit applications to courts.

So, start by explaining what about your termination was illegal, ie you were terminated because of your age, race, sex, disability, etc.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
There is more than one kind of wrongful termination and it matters what kind you have, where you file the complaint. So some details will help us help you.

Eddy

Wrongful termination

Thank you all for your responses. I am the chief operating officer of a not-for-profit. According to the by-laws I could be removed only by the majority of votes of the entire Board. Our Executive Director has been investigated by the Attorney General Office for a while. When he learned that I'm cooperating with the AG office he blocked my access to work. I requested an immediate Board meeting as the AG office suggested, but the Board still ignores my request. If I want to go to the court without a lawer - what court I go to? Thank you.

Tritium

Since you've been helping the AG's office, couldn't you ask them since they'd have more knowledge about the circumstances surrounding your case? Especially since your cooperation was the cause for your early termination?

(btw, I don't know the answer to your question, but curious if you thought to seek help from them.)

Eddy

Wrongful termination

The AG office suggested to ask for an immediate Board meeting - which I did. The AG inquiry is in an early stage and althogh the AG office asked the ED to keep status quo untill their fundings - the ED rebuffed that request. Tnks.

las365

The AG's office isn't going to be able to do anything about your employment situation, though the actions of the ED and BOD may be evidence of a cover-up for the purpose of its investigation.

Have you actually received notice that your employment has been terminated? Suspended? Do you have a written employment contract? You need to immediately seek the advice of an experienced employment law attorney, in my opinion. Trying to file a lawsuit on your own at this time would not be a good strategic move.

Not to be rude, but if you don't even know where to file a lawsuit, there is no way you are going to be able to prosecute one successfully on your own. It sounds like you could have a good case and if you do, you don't want to blow it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">