• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrongful dismissal? but no notice period

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rista

UK
I was due to start a new job on Monday. However on Friday (yesterday) at 6.30pm I got a phonecall from the recruitment agency saying that my employer had been forwarded a screenshot of a comment I'd made on facebook, and that they were no longer expecting me now. (Basically told not to bother turning up). They weren't clear which fb comment it was, only that it was made on Thursday by me on my wall and questions my dedication towards the company/job. My profile is set to private, and I do not have the employer as a "friend".
I've searched for such comment and so have my friends & family, but there is absolutely nothing that would indicate my loss of interest in the role. The company, it's employees, clients etc. not mentioned by me anywhere, nor is anything to do with me starting a job on June 3rd.

I had turned down other offers of employment, have put £4000 on a house yesterday, and now have no job. I have no written notice withdrawal of job offer.
The contract had been signed, and states the usual "can't be dismissed without reason etc. etc.". But the contract only covers actually working, not a job offer being withdrawn.

Would this stand as an unfair dismissal case/unfair withdrawal case?
My start date was agreed months ago to be 3rd of June and now on the 31st of May I have been told I have no job.

Will have to sell a pony now to cover the cost of the house deposit, and another so I can live until I find a new job

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
UK
I was due to start a new job on Monday. However on Friday (yesterday) at 6.30pm I got a phonecall from the recruitment agency saying that my employer had been forwarded a screenshot of a comment I'd made on facebook, and that they were no longer expecting me now. (Basically told not to bother turning up). They weren't clear which fb comment it was, only that it was made on Thursday by me on my wall and questions my dedication towards the company/job. My profile is set to private, and I do not have the employer as a "friend".
I've searched for such comment and so have my friends & family, but there is absolutely nothing that would indicate my loss of interest in the role. The company, it's employees, clients etc. not mentioned by me anywhere, nor is anything to do with me starting a job on June 3rd.

I had turned down other offers of employment, have put £4000 on a house yesterday, and now have no job. I have no written notice withdrawal of job offer.
The contract had been signed, and states the usual "can't be dismissed without reason etc. etc.". But the contract only covers actually working, not a job offer being withdrawn.

My start date was agreed months ago to be 3rd of June and now on the 31st of May I have been told I have no job.

Will have to sell a pony now to cover the cost of the house deposit, and another so I can live until I find a new job
US Law ONLY. :cool:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
US law and UK law are not the same, and US law is still evolving in this area. It may or may not have anything to do with UK law.

We have one responder who has some knowledge of UK law. I'm sure she'll tell you anything she can; however, you would probably do better looking for a UK forum. It's not that we're unwilling to help - it's that we simply do not have the knowledge of UK law.

Proserpina

UK

(I'm a Brit :) )

OP, what DID you write? You've been a bit vague here. The bolded seems to indicate you may have said something that someone, somewhere, may have interpreted a bit differently than perhaps you intended.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">