• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrongful Firing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

duluxdog

What is the name of your state? California.
My wife has worked in convenience stores for the past 9 years and also a member of the local VIPs. She was fired this morning from her job as a cashier. At 11.05pm the previous evening a customer known to my wife from prior visits in various stores and having shown her ( ID ) of his being 21 came into the store after she had finished her shift , and proceeded to purchase alcohol,the cashier just recently employed in the past 3 weeks who was now on duty asked my wife if it was ok to sell beer to him, she replied ,yeah i have seen his ID he is 21, (but its your call), without asking for his (ID) sold him beer , shortly after the customer was stopped by the local PD on another matter(disturbance), and asked where he purchased the beer ?, my wifes store , following this my wife recieved a call from the manager to visit the store to speak with her and was given her employment seperation papers with the reason being policy violation (for Instructing another cashier to supply beer to a minor),now the company policy on alcohol is for ALL CASHIERS TO CHECK THE VALID IDs OF ALL PERSONS THEY BELIEVE TO BE UNDER 30yo. As my wife was clocked off from her shift when this happened,and she is only a cashier without a supervisory role are they justified in terminating her . Any input would be greatly appreciated Tx

Beth3

While it's an unfortunate situation, this is not a wrongful (illegal) termination. If they wish to fire her for having a hand in inadvertently selling alcohol to someone who is under age, they may.

duluxdog

Even though she was already signed off the clock and technically was a member of the public , as I was there when this occurred , could the employee have asked me if the person was old enough, and would I have been guilty of indirectly letting someone sell alcohol to a minor . As I stated above , it is company policy for all cashiers to check IDs, and the onus was on the cashier to ask for it , and not my wife. Its kinda like the old question , If someone asked you to jump off a bridge ?, would you do it just because they said they had already jumped and survived and you trusted their advice to do so , I think not.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yes, they can still legally fire her for this even if she was off the clock.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">