• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrongful? I wasn't even told for a month!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kweenofrocknrol

What is the name of your state? Mass. It was my part time job (been there since Aug. 1992) in retail pharmacy. [I have 1 other 40hr/wk day job.] I had asked the lead tech (scheduler) SEVERAL times, between Nov. 2005 and Feb. 2006, with witnesses present to reduce my hours. I knew (and she knew) that there are other techs (full time) that WANTED more hours. She would get angry and say "I don't want to hear it" and usually walk away.

I was being used more because I work harder and than others and she believes that some don't deserve the hours. I even asked at least 3 other pharmacists including the LEAD PHARMACIST who fired me, to talk to her for me. I didn't think it would be unreasonable because I am paid higher than others and they're always screaming about the budget.

I can prove I'm a good tech because they bribed me to leave my hospital job to go back there in June 2005 and take the lead tech's position so she could pursue a different avenue [in the same company]. I stayed with the hospital per diem. Then in September the hospital's buyer left and recommended me for the job. I took the promotion at the hospital job and stepped down as lead tech. Nov.2nd I was back to part-time tech and pissed alot of people off. I believe they made the workplace harder for me since then.

After numerous attempts I left the lead tech a note about reducing my hours. She also was [at the time] my best friend [outside of work]. The note was a bit humorous, metaphorical, and not formal. But it said that I was being abused and not happy and couldnt work that many hours anymore. She got mad, gave the note to the boss. The boss approached me and we agreed I needed a 'breather'. I asked if she needed at least 2 weeks before the breather and she said no. She gave me a month off and told me to call her at the end of the month. I was never written up or suspended. I never signed anything. That was Feb 1st.

Feb 27 I approached her and she informed me that she had to talk with her boss because "he wanted me to fire you when I gave you the month off."
She told me to call her the next day. When I did she informed me that "it was supposed to be a termination." I asked her if I was supposed to have been written up or something and she said "it was insubordination". She also said "I should have approached her about it" and when I reminded her that I did approach her and all the other pharmacists, she became abrupt and ended the phone conversation.

I did rely on that income and could have been looking for another part-time job that whole month. I don't want my job back. I want my name cleared because that is the only job I've ever had since I was 17 years old besides my current job of 5 years. I was there for 13 years and it is my ONLY reference for past employment. What am I supposed to say when I'm asked by an interviewer about that job? Should I fight them for not telling me for a month? I believe they were expecting me to quit.

Last edited:

seniorjudge

Kweenofrocknrol said:
What is the name of your state? Mass. It was my part time job (been there since Aug. 1992) in retail pharmacy. [I have 1 other 40hr/wk day job.] I had asked the lead tech (scheduler) SEVERAL times, between Nov. 2005 and Feb. 2006, with witnesses present to reduce my hours. I knew (and she knew) that there are other techs (full time) that WANTED more hours. She would get angry and say "I don't want to hear it" and usually walk away.

I was being used more because I work harder and than others and she believes that some don't deserve the hours. I even asked at least 3 other pharmacists including the LEAD PHARMACIST who fired me, to talk to her for me. I didn't think it would be unreasonable because I am paid higher than others and they're always screaming about the budget.

I can prove I'm a good tech because they bribed me to leave my hospital job to go back there in June 2005 and take the lead tech's position so she could pursue a different avenue [in the same company]. I stayed with the hospital per diem. Then in September the hospital's buyer left and recommended me for the job. I took the promotion at the hospital job and stepped down as lead tech. Nov.2nd I was back to part-time tech and pissed alot of people off. I believe they made the workplace harder for me since then.

After numerous attempts I left the lead tech a note about reducing my hours. She also was [at the time] my best friend [outside of work]. The note was a bit humorous, metaphorical, and not formal. But it said that I was being abused and not happy and couldnt work that many hours anymore. She got mad, gave the note to the boss. The boss approached me and we agreed I needed a 'breather'. I asked if she needed at least 2 weeks before the breather and she said no. She gave me a month off and told me to call her at the end of the month. I was never written up or suspended. I never signed anything. That was Feb 1st.

Feb 27 I approached her and she informed me that she had to talk with her boss because "he wanted me to fire you when I gave you the month off."
She told me to call her the next day. When I did she informed me that "it was supposed to be a termination." I asked her if I was supposed to have been written up or something and she said "it was insubordination". She also said "I should have approached her about it" and when I reminded her that I did approach her and all the other pharmacists, she became abrupt and ended the phone conversation.

I did rely on that income and could have been looking for another part-time job that whole month. I don't want my job back. I want my name cleared because that is the only job I've ever had since I was 17 years old besides my current job of 5 years. I was there for 13 years and it is my ONLY reference for past employment. What am I supposed to say when I'm asked by an interviewer about that job? Should I fight them for not telling me for a month? I believe they were expecting me to quit.

Q: What am I supposed to say when I'm asked by an interviewer about that job?

A: Explain truthfully that y'all had disagreements. If the new person wants more details then he will ask. Give the new details dispassionately and without whining.

Kweenofrocknrol

misleading

Can I fight them for not telling me what was REALLY going on for a whole month? I mean I could have been looking for other employment that whole time. My boss lead me to believe she was being sympathetic and giving me a much needed break when she should have fired me then and not a month later.

Beth3

An employer has no obligation to provide advance notice to an employee that his or her job is in jeopardy and/or that they're going to be fired.

gawm

If you have a union file a grievance with them. If you don't want your job back there is not much they would be able to do for you anyways.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Every time you leave a job for whatever reason you are terminated. If you quit, it's a voluntary termination. If your employer makes the determination for any reason, it's an involuntary termination. "Terminated" is not a synonym for "fired" and if you believe that the average HR manager does not understand that, you are wrong.

That being said, the surest way to get yourself fired or placed on the do not hire list is to lie on your application.

kjschepplupa

Beth3 said:
An employer has no obligation to provide advance notice to an employee that his or her job is in jeopardy and/or that they're going to be fired.
But what if you have a contract stating that they do?

k

Kweenofrocknrol

Ok

When they ask for more info [how do I simplify it?] I'll explain that I've worked at the hospital for 5 years and been mostly part-time at 'the other job' as well. 'They' bribed me to go back as a lead tech in June. Then I unfortunately had to step down and go back to part-time there to take a bigger promotion at the hospital in November. It made alot of people angry and they made it miserable for me there. Maybe thinking I'd quit.

I gave a note to the scheduler, who was a good friend of mine, about reducing my hours. By then I had already approached her several times in person. She got mad and gave it to the boss. They used it to terminate me.

does that sound ok or is it too much info?

Kweenofrocknrol

oh im sorry

I thought you were asking kjschepplupa.

I dont have any contract that I know of. I haven't signed anything really important like that since I was hired at 17 years old. It's a big corporation with hundreds of stores. I guess that means I'm an 'at will' employee, right?
No union either. I'm licensed as a tech if that means anything.

Kweenofrocknrol

401 K

Is my 401k in jeopardy at all if I don't carry it into my full-time job right away? Does it stay where it is [not accruing] safely or should I transfer it as soon as I can?

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
How much is in your 401k? It makes a difference to the answer.

You don't need to give us an exact amount; just tell us if it's above or below five thousand.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">