• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

wrongful term

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

msteema2

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

Can someone with 2 jobs be fired from one if the worker was injury at the other job. Meaning i was told that i abandon my job due to the fact i was hospitalized

pattytx

One possible out......

At the second job.

How many employees at your job location and within a 75-mile radius? If less than 50, ignore the remaining questions.

If 50 or more.

Had you been employed there at least one year? If no, ignore the remaining questions. If yes,

In the 12 months immediately previous to your hospitalization, had you worked at least 1,250 hours? If no, ignore the reamining questions. If yes,

What were you hospitalized for and how long were you out of work?

msteema2

do they formally have to go through the process of me being warned for not updating my status or flat out just fire me

jsmith416

Did you read Patty's question? If you are not eligible for FMLA for any reason then yes they can just flat out fire you. They do not have to warn you before discharge although this can hurt their case if you file for unemployment and they try to claim you were fired for misconduct.

msteema2

This is the story..

I have another post about how i was hurt at work and almost lost my life. before the surgery I was on my 4th year working for the city and I am civil serivce. I worked part time and i was injuried at my full time job. I kept them updated and brought my notes to the supervisor.. I worked for the fire dept so at times I was dropping my notes off and photo coping them just in case.. Each time I would bring in my dr's note i was told nothing bout We havent recieved any notes. The week i was cleared to return back to work I was told i was terminated because i abandon my job.. How could I .. when 3 weeks before i was called to see if i want to fill in a shift and a week before then i brought in a status update from my DOC.. I was told by the chief that they recieved some but not all the notes.. which is a lie.. AND i was told by the human resource dept that i am still an employee for the city.. very confusing!!
I was told by 2 different attorneys that my case would be hard cause i was informally told that i was fired.. I have not recieved a letter of termination yet and this has been 5 months and my address is updated

msteema2

sorry patty didnt see your question...

Well about 60 percent of that dept lives out of town or out of state, bout 50 miles or more and I have been there 4 years and i have worked fulltime hours but was classifed as part time.

I was injuried lifting heavy objects and i was hospitalized for medial mistakes

pattytx

If there is less than 50 employees within a 75-mile radius of your job site (including your job location), then FMLA is not applicable.

I'm not running to another forum to read the history, here. Just trying to address the question posted in THIS forum. ;)

mlane58

sorry patty didnt see your question...

Well about 60 percent of that dept lives out of town or out of state, bout 50 miles or more and I have been there 4 years and i have worked fulltime hours but was classifed as part time.

I was injuried lifting heavy objects and i was hospitalized for medial mistakes
You still didn't answer Patty's question.

Not how many live outside of toewn---How many employees work there within a 75 mile radius?

Did you wok at least 1,250 hours in the last year?

msteema2

there is about 250+ employees in that dept, about 3/4 live in the city where my job is located and the rest live far , but not 75 miles away ...i live 62 miles (according to my gps) away from the job location and for if i worked 1250, my injury happen in the beginning of the year so I didnt work 1250 hours in 2009 but the year before i have.

pattytx

I.
Don't.
Care.
Where.
They.
Live.

How many people WORK where you work?

This is the last tooth I'm gonna try to pull. :rolleyes:

msteema2

no need to get snooty.. we have a commication misunderstanding.. there are thousands of people where i work. i work in the 2nd largest city in NJ

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Okay. I'll try.

How many people are employed BY YOUR EMPLOYER AT YOUR LOCATION?

msteema2

I work for the fire department. there are about 500 people in my dept.. as for as my employer which is the city there are thousands of people that work there... If this doesnt clear it up i dont understand the question

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">