• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrongful Term? Harassment? Retaliation? Hostile Work Environment? Part 2

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

timjbryant

I was told something by a few associates in the store concerning XXX. Specifically, there was a rumor going around that she was involved with XXX. I was concerned about this primarily because rumors are rampant in Concord and have been very damaging for quite some time. I will get into that later in detail as it applies to this issue. Now, given the relationship XXX and I have established, I felt comfortable talking about this with her and knew it would be something she would want to know. So, on HER DAY OFF, I texted her as her friend asking WTF was this about her and XXX? She immediately called me and I took the call outside of the building. She was hysterical. Before I could even say anything she began screaming and cursing and stating that she knows who's going around saying this. I never told her who told me this information. She insisted it was one person in particular, an associate named XXX XXXXXX. I told her this was not the case and she needed to calm down, that I was simply letting her know what was being said and that if there was any truth to it at all that she needed to be careful in what she was saying or doing that would lead people to believe this. I told her several times that I was simply informing her in her best interest and for her protection. We both knew how rumors and gossip in the store have occurred for well over a year and that little or nothing at all had been done to address the issue. She was insistent on involving Home Office and wanted nothing less than XXX XXXXX to be terminated. She said she was going to complain to XXX and call Home Office. I explained to her that if she wanted to do this, she needed to do so in a professional manner and not because of personal feelings towards Ann or anyone else. I also reminded her that she had been the person accused of doing the exact same thing several times by other associates over the course of several months. There are multiple associates in the store who can corroborate this if asked. XXXX was known for rumor and gossip. She would often discuss peoples personal lives, make accusations, basically she would "talk ****" constantly and has lost many associate friendships as a result. She and I have talked about that in length. She would often tell me when there were rumors being spread about me in the store. So, I was taken aback by her reaction to this given her participation in the rumor and gossip forum at our store. Nevertheless, she continued with this reaction and insisted she would do something about it. I was off on Friday and Saturday of that week and returned to work Sunday. XXXX did not show for her opening shift. She did not want to come to work and made no arrangements to contact the store or another supervisor to cover her. We had to get a hold of her. Eventually we did, although I wasn't informed by XXX XXXX or XXXX XXX although both had spoken with her. When asked, XXXX told me that she would come in around 11 and she would come see me in the office and let me know what was going on. Let me be specific, at no time did I ask her to come to the office. She said she would come to talk to me when she arrived. She did come in around 11:15, came to the office, sat down and asked me "what"? I asked what was going on, how come she didn't come in, etc.... She said she didn't know if she was going to continue to work for XXX's and didn't want to come in. I asked why. She said because she is sick of the "bull ****", specifically the rumors and gossip that goes around and doesn't want to work in a place like that anymore. We talked about that for a little bit. We talked about how it's always been that way and she knows that and she shouldn't let it get to her the way it does. She said she didn't care anymore and she was going to do something about it. Now, pay close attention to the next part because it pertains to what was stated in the Associate Counseling given to me by XXX XXXX and what I read in that document. I took off my name badge, tossed it on the desk and told her that she might as well get me fired then if that's how she feels because she has been part of the problem regarding rumor and gossip and I have had to discuss that with her many times in the past and that I have been the subject of rumor and gossip as well. This was done to make a point to her. That she was overreacting to the situation so why not just take it as far as she wants and get us all fired if that's how she feels. At no time did I THROW my badge at her, as pointed out in the counseling, and AT NO TIME DID I GET ANGRY AT HER, CURSE AT HER, YELL AT HER or anything of the like. Just the opposite occurred. I told her I was her friend, that I cared about her and wanted her to continue working here and that we can deal with what's going on and I'll help her get it resolved. The conversation ended. I believe she then worked the rest of the day.
On Tuesday of the following week, XXX and I had a closed door meeting about what was going on. He told me how XXXX spoke with him about what was going on and wanted to hear what I had to say about it. I told him about what I heard in the store and why I spoke with her about it. I told him I was concerned about her and didn't want this to mess up anything for her in the store. I told him that I talked to her about keeping her personal life private and she shouldn't talk to anyone about anything she does outside of our store, that it was none of their business. He asked me about the conversation XXXXX and I had Sunday and I told him exactly what I explained above. Once again, this is very important.... At no time during our discussion did I tell Joe that I yelled at, cursed at, and became angry at XXXXX. At no time did I tell XXX that I threw my badge. I told him that I tossed my badge on the desk. "Badges Off" is the term you're all familiar with. And yet, XXX stated in my counseling that I admitted to doing exactly what I said I didn't do. This is a lie. This is a false statement and I will address that in detail later in this email. At the end of our talk, XXX said that he believes I was trying to protect and help XXXXX with what I had heard and only had her best interest in mind. He said he would speak with her. He did speak with her, assured her that I was only trying to help her and believes that himself, and we could get past all of this and move on. She agreed. She closed FCO that night with me and everything was professional and respectful. XXXX and I didn't speak much after that, although we continued to work together and spoke with each other at the store when necessary. That is the end of what happened regarding her. Now, let's move on to the real issue, what I believe is the crucial part of this story. You will not like what I have to say. You may think it's being said as a result of what happened to me. I'm saying it's the cause of what happened to me. I became a threat and it was in the best interest of one person in particular to have me removed, no matter what, no matter how. The problem in your Concord store is with XXX XXXX. Your Store Manager! He is your harasser. What I'm about to tell you is the complete truth. I will testify under oath to these statements when it comes to that.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">