• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrongful Term Process

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

drowsey4

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Has anyone gone thru the process and can tell me what it entails; i.e., how long before settlement, upfront cost or contingent? Can you collect unemployment in the meantime? Anything else I should know?

Thank you!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
There is more than one kind of wrongful termination and the process would vary depending on what kind of claim you believe you have. Could you elaborate, please?

Certainly apply for unemployment.

commentator

And as cbg is kindly waiting to tell you, never overstepping into areas where we don't have enough information, you'll no doubt long since have settled any unemployment issues before there would be any possibilities for a "wrongful termination" action of any kind, if there were one.

So file immediately for unemployment if you haven't already. Give them the reason for your termination, let them do an investigation, contact the employer, put the information together and make a decision whether you were terminated for a good misconduct reason.

Then if your claim is approved, your employer may appeal. If it is denied, you can appeal. There would be a hearing. All this will be very much about your reason for termination, so it would certainly set the stage for any further action to be taken later.

Wrongful terminations are like reindeer, big in myth and legend, familar to most everyone. We all hear they actually exist somewhere up around the arctic regions, and some of us have actually seen them, but for most people, they are not something you'll run into on a regular basis.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">