• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrongful Termination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

RubyElaine

What is the name of your state?
mi - after several yrs of employment with an excellent record,( I have documentation) I was terminated due to a personality conflict with an officer of the co and given no severance pkg, which, has been the standard. Do I have a chance with legal action? This is an "at will" employer. I am a female over 40.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
There is nothing illegal about firing someone because of a personality conflict.

Unless you have a real reason to believe that you were fired and severance withheld not because of a personality conflict but BECAUSE OF your age and gender, you do not have a wrongful termination and you would have no legal recourse.

Beth3

Not from what you've described. Having a personality confict with a company officer would likely get anyone fired (depending on how severe the conflict was) regardless of their age or gender. You can be terminated in spite of those things, just not because of them.

An employer is never obligated to provide severance unless an employment contract exists that includes those provisions. While an employer may provide severance to everyone who departs if they wish to, for those companies who provide severance it's customary to do so when individuals are terminated due to lack of work or restructuring, not because they "got into it" with an officer.

R

RubyElaine

Just to be clear, there was no "getting into it". There were no issues with performance until I reported to him, which, the documentation clearly shows.

Beth3

Okay but that doesn't change anything. If the company officer and you didn't get along or had differences of opinions on business matters, he was free to make a change and hire someone he felt he could work more effectively with.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">