• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrongful termination?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sevenrd

What is the name of your state? California.

Last week my wife was laid off from her job. The reason given to her for the layoff was that her position was being eliminated from the company due to lack of revenue to support it. However, less than a week later, another employee has been hired on in her "elimimated" position. They've given her former position a different title, but the duties are the same.

She spoke with a former co-worker still employed with the company who told her that the replacement was chosen because she could speak Chinese. This was never a requirement of my wife's job, nor was it ever suggested she learn a foreign language, nor was it the reason given for her termination.

Should she seek an attorney? Any feedback is welcome.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No, this is not a wrongful termination. Nothing in the law says that they can't:

1.) Realize they still need the position and change their minds about eliminating it

2.) Hire someone else instead of calling your wife back

3.) Change the requirements of the position.

Nor does the law require that they give your wife any reason for termination.

Unless your wife is prepared to show evidence that the reason given her was a pretext and she was REALLY fired because of her race, religion, national origin, etc. OR that she was really fired because she applied for or utilized a right or benefit protected under the law, she has no case.

G

GoforLaw

What I would like to know is what kind of a company/business is this? what do they do? and also, does this new person deal with new clients (i.e. primarily Chinese clients)? how do you know the duties are the same? can you prove it? are the owners of the company Chinese?

This is a fact sensitive question, and a whole lot of information needs to be known, but I would not be so negative as the prior poster, especially if there are other employees willing to testify to race/national origin discrimination, as is intimated by the question. These are certainly protected classes under California law, and any termination for this specific reason would be a violation of California public policy. I agree with the prior poster though - this is a hard proposition to prove as a matter of practice, and the most prudent thing to do is let an attorney who does employment cases handle this.

Small note - unfortunately, my impression is that we are experiencing more and more ethnic discrimination here in California (perhaps because California is such a huge melting pot of cultures).

The prior poster may be right though, if the company truly created a different position to better suit their business needs, which they may have a right to do ... and clearly your wife would not be qualified for a position that required Chinese right now.

I would suggest at least talking to a California lawyer about all of the facts in this case. It can't hurt, right?

Beth3

No, it can't hurt but it certainly sounds like it would be a waste of time and money. Nothing in the original post suggests that any discrimination has occurred. If they let her go because she couldn't speak Chinese or after they did, decided they should back-fill with a person who spoke Chinese, that is not prohibited discrimination.

An individual being either mono-lingual or multi-lingual does not constitute a protected category nor does that have anything to do with race or national origin discrimination.

G

GoforLaw

I would respectfully disagree with everything you said, including your assessment of facts and applicable law. I also cannot believe that you are discouraging an individual who is clearly seeking legal help from contacting a California attorney, many of whom (I might add) will charge very little, if anything, to talk to a potential client.

As far as the law ...

"Race" is interpreted broadly to mean classes of persons identifiable because of their ancestry or ethnic characteristics. Saint Francis College v. Al-Khazraji (1987) 481 U.S. 604, 612-613, 107 S.Ct. 2022, 2027-2028; Sandhu v. Lockheed Missiles & Space Co. (1994) 26 Cal.App.4th 846, 858, 31 Cal.Rptr.2d 617, 624. "Race" and "color" protections are not limited to groups that traditionally have been perceived to be minorities. Rather, Title VII prohibits discrimination against Whites as well as Blacks, Hispanics or Asians; and discrimination against males as well as females. Griggs v. Duke Power Co. (1971) 401 U.S. 424, 430-431, 91 S.Ct. 849, 853 ["Discriminatory preference for any group, minority or majority, is precisely and only what Congress has proscribed"]; McDonald v. Santa Fe Trail Transp. Co. (1976) 427 U.S. 273, 280, 96 S.Ct. 2574, 2579 ["Title VII prohibits racial discrimination against the white petitioners in this case upon the same standards as would be applicable were they [black] and (the black employee) white"].

Further, Title VII and the FEHA prohibit employment discrimination on the basis of an individual's "national origin." The FEHA also prohibits discrimination on the basis of "ancestry" (which usually means the same thing). 42 USCA § 2000e-2(a); Ca Govt § 12940(a). EEOC Guidelines: "National origin" is defined by the EEOC to include the birthplace of individuals or their ancestors, as well as display of the physical, cultural, or linguistic characteristics of a particular national group. 29 CFR §§ 1606.1-1606.8

There is a whole line of cases dealing with "English only" policies, which constitute national origin discrimination because it disadvantages employees whose primary language is other than English. See, Garcia v. Spun Steak Co. (9th Cir. 1993) 998 F.2d 1480, 1488. Such a rule may be upheld, however, where (i) justified by "business necessity" and (ii) the employees have adequate notice of the restriction. Ca Govt § 12951(a) (amended 2001); 29 CFR § 1606.7; see also, EEOC v. Synchro-Start Products, Inc. (ND IL 1999) 29 F.Supp.2d 911, 913. "Business necessity" has been found where necessary to safe and efficient operation of the business and no alternative practice will accomplish the business purpose equally as well with less discriminatory impact. Ca Govt § 12951(b)]; see also, 29 CFR § 1606.7 (work involving a high risk of injury or accidents or where necessary to enable English-speaking supervisors to monitor employee communications to ensure efficient work and appropriate behavior).

I would think that "Chinese only" policies may be just as problematic.

As far as the facts ... in employment cases, it is difficult to know how the story will develop. Just because an employer says they "eliminated" a position, only to create another with identical duties and hire a person of another race, does not mean this is true. It would be obtuse to think that employers do not do this type of legal maneuver on advice of lawyers (wishing to protect themselves from rightful discrimination claims ... e.g. because they wanted to hire a cousin from China). The full facts usually do not come out until later in litigation (during the discovery process, where depositions get taken and people have to tell the truth under penalty of perjury). I am not discounting that the employer may have a legitimate reason for hiring a Chinese speaker, or that the terminated employee may not be able to prove the discriminatory purpose/pretext. In such cases, there is probably no legal recourse.

Like I said before, many more facts need to be known about this situation, but it certainly sounds like an interesting one, and I continue to think one that could potentially have some legal merit. I would continue to suggest that the poster get more facts, try to investigate a bit more into what is going on, keep a diligent journal of everything that happens (and happened) and organize all documents (including computer data). Good employment cases tend to be where the employee kept good records. And I continue to think that talking to a California lawyer is a good idea. But that's just my 2 cents' worth.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
And I respectfully disagree that looking for someone who can speak Chinese is evidence of discrimination/national origin. Unless you are prepared to show that NO ONE who is not of Chinese nationality can EVER learn to speak Chinese.

G

GoforLaw

I think I explained myself well, and I did not say that speaking Chinese is evidence of discrimination. Please read my post carefully. But linguistic preferences may also intimate race and origin considerations. I suppose I assumed that the new employee was of a different race (i.e. Chinese), but as I said I wanted to know more factual info and the assumption seemed appropriate.

However, needing a Chinese speaker may also be a code word. For example, what if it was discovered that the company was bought by a Chinese enterprise, which started to replace workers with its "own" people due to "work reduction"? Any case there?

Also, if the information is true that the new employee was hired only because he/she is a Chinese speaker, and that this "new" position is actually the same one (just repackaged with a new title), this would seem a bit fishy at first glance ... don't you think?

Beth3

Let's just give it up, cbg. Goforlaw is determined to see discrimination in this situation and I'm sure there's nothing we can do to disuade him.

I don't speak Chinese either. Guess that puts me in a protected class too. :rolleyes:

S

sevenrd

Thanks for all of the replies.

Just to provide more detail...

The parent company is a Chinese-owned, China-based manufacturer. My wife, who is Japanese, was replaced with a Chinese employee. She knows the duties are the same through correspondence with a former co-worker who shared the same office with her, and now shares it with the new employee.

Beth3

"The parent company is a Chinese-owned, China-based manufacturer. My wife, who is Japanese, was replaced with a Chinese employee" If your wife was terminated BECAUSE she is not Chinese, that is prohibited discrimination. If she was terminated because she cannot speak Chinese and speaking Chinese is an advantageous skill to have for this particular job/company, it's not.

smorr

Doesn't sound like discrimination to me. Unless she had a specific employment agreement in place at the time of her hire - the company is fairly free to do what they wish with her job description in terms of keeping it as is or changing it after she's gone. She wasn't fired and a reason for her lay-off was well within the legal means of the company - she is able to collect unemployment and free to search for another job. It also sounds like they had no problem with her work or attitude, either, so she should get a good reference as well.

I once had a position as a supposed "legal secretary", although shortly after I started the position, I was turned into their 'secretary/receptionist' since I was "so good on the phones". Not my job description, but I needed the bucks so stayed on since I was told it was only "temporary" - but it wasn't. About two years into the job, I made a request that I be trained further as a paralegal so I could do what's called "due diligence" for this firm (a process of digging into the finances of a company for purposes of doing stock offerings, etc.). Having 13 years in a legal background, I felt I was qualified to learn this. Instead, three weeks later, they announced they were hiring a temp employee as their "paralegal" (who, by the way, had NO paralegal or legal background) and guess what they had her doing ...you guessed it - due diligence. She was younger than me and seemed to present a better "image" for the - as they called themselves - "Corporate Legal Boutique". It was obvious that these 'old timers' wanted someone young to push their business - nevermind whether or not she had the legal background. She was in her early thirties - I was in my mid-forties. They even wanted to put her name in a world-wide registry as the 'paralegal' for their firm even though she legally doesn't have the paperwork to prove she is! She refused. Sound like discrimination? I did to me, but I can't prove it as all they had to say was it's not what they hired me for. Needless to say, I voluntarily left and how shocked they were at my resignation (really!). I don't miss working there, believe me!

Look at it as a blessing in disguise - she'll probably get a much better job, better pay and probably better benefits! ;)

HomeGuru

Beth3 said:
Let's just give it up, cbg. Goforlaw is determined to see discrimination in this situation and I'm sure there's nothing we can do to disuade him.

I don't speak Chinese either. Guess that puts me in a protected class too. :rolleyes:
**A: and I DO speak Chinese. Now am I then in an unprotected class?

H

hexeliebe

Ich Spreche Deutsch, English und ein bischen Andere Sprachen aber dass Macht gar nichts in diesem Falle.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">