• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrongful Termination?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

wicrick

What is the name of your state? Texas

In 2002 I was working for Hotel company in which I had been there 18 months and started off as a Banquet manager but then was promoted to Food and Beverage Director within 9 months and my career was going great. Then I had a new General Manager who came in and told me one day I'm hiring a new Food and Beverage Director, what do you think? I told him I thought it was unfair due to my performance, dedication, and loyalty record. He said well he starts tonight, I told him why are you doing this, did I do something wrong, because I've never been given a warning or counseling. He just repeated that the new Food and Beverage Director would be here tonight and to show him around and train him. I said do you have another position for me? he said no I could stay until the new Food and Beverage Director was trained. So I told him I'm sorry I can't do that and I gave him my notice. This has ruined my career, I've several major setbacks and I think(not sure) he is revealing more information than needed for a reference check. Then come to find out the new Food and Beverage Director is a friend looking for a job? What if anything can I do.

Beth3

Keep looking for a job. Being dismissed in that fashion and being given no reason stinks but it was not unlawful. As to the reference situation, unless you can demonstrate that the GM is sharing untruthful information about you or being negligent in what he has said and you can demonstrate that as a result, you have lost out on other job opportunities, you have no cause of action against him/the company.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It is by no means unusual, nor is it in any way illegal, for a new manager to bring in his/her own people that s/he is accustomed to working with. It stinks for the people already in the position but life is not always fair, sorry.

BTW, what do you mean, revealing more information than needed for a reference check? An employer may legally reveal any information that is either true or that they honestly believe to be true. What information do you think he is revealing that is hurting you?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">