• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

wrongful termination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

confusedmae

What is the name of your state? My home state is Missouri. My question is up until November the 14 of 2003 I was a family care program coordinator, working for a non for profit orginization. I was terminated because they said I had to many cancellation on the computer, and that my record had a blemish on it and that would not look good for them getting grants, or the auditor coming through. The supervisor that had me terminated resigned the following monday. I have worked for them 5 and a half years, and up until the new supervisor came on I never had a blemish on my record. I was suspended by one director. And terminated by another who had only been their 6 month. Now I have heard that I have a case, and some say I don't. Can someone please advise me. I worked hard at that job, now no one want's to hire me in that field. Agencies I have worked with for years and know I am a hard worker now don't have two words to say to me, I feel I am being black balled. Help

Beth3

What does "to many cancellation on the computer" mean? It's not at all clear what you're referring to.

From what I can tell from your post however, nothing illegal has taken place. If they felt your job performance was inadequate, they were free to let you go.

C

confusedmae

Cancelations mean that the client did not recieve service. Their is nothing in the company rule book that said this was a major factor. The only reason I was let go was because they where in the hole, and needed to let a whole paycheck go. I know this because they told me so a month and a half befor they terminated me. I was home on medical leave when they called me to tell me that they had demoted my supervisor in rank and pay so that they could keep all of us. She got an attorney and fought it. The company didn't have enough money to fight her so she got her position back. When she came to me after coming off administrative leave I asked her who was getting terminated. She asked me why would I ask her that. I told her, just what I had been told. She told me no one was going anywhere, because they needed all of us. Four weeks later, in front of a croud of clients. I was terminated

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
There is still nothing in your post to indicate that a wrongful termination has taken place.

"Wrongful termination" has a specific meaning in law. It does not mean a termination that was unfair, unjust or unexpected. It does not mean a termination that was for mistaken or incorrect reasons, and in the VERY large majority of cases, it does not mean a termination that was in violation of company policy. (BTW, NOTHING in the law says that there has to be a specific, written policy before you can be fired for violation of it. So the fact that nothing in the company handbook says this was a firing offense is totally irrelevant.)

In order to qualify as a wrongful termination under the law, it has to have been ILLEGAL to fire you. The termination itself must be a violation of the law.

It is not illegal to terminate someone because you are out of money and don't have enough to pay everyone. It is not illegal to terminate someone because they violated a policy that is not in the rule book. It is not illegal to terminate someone four weeks after saying that no terminations were expected. It is not illegal to terminate someone in front of clients.

C

confusedmae

Thank you I needed to know for my own peace of mind, I won't lie and say the whole thing stinks to high heaven, but I respect your answers, it gave me a better light to the whole thing. I should have known that an employer can do just about anything as long as it is kept just under the wire.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">