• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrongful Termination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jnd4ever

What is the name of your state? Virginia

i was working for a large health care facility. i was hired to be the staffing coordinator for the facility. when i was hired the facility was using $150,000.00 per month in agency staff. within 5 months of being hired their agency bill was zero. on february 20, 2004 i was terminated because they said that i had allowed a gna whose certification was expired to work. i was travelling from virginia to maryland and i know for a fact that the maryland board of nursing gives the gna's 30 days after expiration to renew their certification. the reason that they fired me was because they said that i put their facility at risk, which was not true because the young lady was still inside the 30 days that the maryland board of nursing gives to renew certification. the real problem is this: the director of nursing, whom i worked with before, was resigning and trying to be honest before she left she told the administrator that he would probably lose me as well. i think this is the real reason that they fired me. i would have left but would not have done it before they could have replaced me. do i have a case?

Beth3

"do i have a case?" No. As an "at will" employee you can be terminated for any reason except a specifically prohibited one. Neither of the reasons you mention comes close to qualifying as one of those.

J

John Galt

Sorry to hi-jack.

Will at will termination hurt a person's chances at collecting unemployment?

What can the company do not to pay the unemployment to the terminated worker?

thanks and sorry for the jump on.

j g

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
State law determines when an employee is or is not eligible for unemployment. The employer can contest benefits if for some reason he believes the employee should not be eligible, but the state makes the final decision.

Now go and hijack no more.

Beth3

Ditto. "At will" is not recognized when it comes to UC regulations. It's just not pertinent.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">