• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

wrongful termination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

acellet1

I was recently fired for a party I had at my house, which didn't involve anyone I worked with and didn't invlove the company in any way. They called it "gross misconduct". Is there any way I can get the company to stop referring to my termination that way, since it was non-work related?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No. There isn't. If it is the company's opinion that this consitutes gross misconduct, they are free to say so. The fact that it was non-work-related is irrelevant.

And what makes you think this was a wrongful termination? It's not even in the ballpark.

A

acellet1

I find it hard to believe a company can fire you and give any reason they want. So if they fire me because they don't like the color of my car they can tell future employers I was stealing and being abusive to the employees? There has to be some line the employers can't cross, especially if what they are saying isn't true.

J

jeepgirl74

In Michigan, you can be fired and not even given a reason. At any time. It's an "at-will" employee state.

You can also quit at any time and not have to give a reason.

A

acellet1

That is also true in Colorado. I would have preferred to be fired for no reason than have a gross misconduct on my record. Is there any way whatsoever to get that changed? After all, I think it's unfair that my record should be tarnished by something I do on my own time in my own place just because my employer doesn't like it.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
An employer cannot say something about your termination that is not true. So no, they could not say that you were fired for stealing if they fired you because they did not like the color of your car. (Although it would be legal for them to fire you because they did not like the color of your car.)

However, in this case, the company is telling the truth as they see it. They think that your behavior crossed the line into gross misconduct. They are entitled to think that, and since they believe it to be true, they are entitled to say that. No, there is no legal way you can force them to change that. Whether you think it unfair or not is immaterial.

BTW, every state except Montana is an at-will state, and only a small handful of states require that you be given any reason (and even in those states they only have to give you a reason on your written request).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">