• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

wrongful termination??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

emt7677

What is the name of your state? Illinois
I was wrongfully accused of violation of patient confidentiality for not giving information to a patients family about who the emt's and police officers were on scene. I have been accused of this because I was doing some er time over at another hospital, and a patient had come in to the er in very bad shape, they got him stable and sent him to a trauma center across town, and the mother of the patient had asked for the information of the name of the paramedics, and police officers on scene were, and when I went to give them the information at the trauma center they got upset because I told them that because of the HIPPA laws that they would have to contact the local fire department, and local police department to get that information. After I had left, the parents were distraught and told the pediatric intensive doctor that I had talked to them about the patients condition. They were so upset that they lodged a formal complaint against me, and I was immediately removed from the paramedic class that I was taking, and told that if I come on to the hospitals property that I would be arrested for tresspassing. This has totally upset me because the attorneys of the hospital never once asked my side of the story during their investigation, and I was told that they didn't care what my side of the story was. This is totally wrong, do I or don't I have a case against the hospital and the family????

Beth3

This is totally wrong, do I or don't I have a case against the hospital and the family???? You don't. The family was free to complain; the hospital was free to discharge you if they felt you acted inappropriately or even just to pacify the family. Whether or not there was a violation of HIPAA reg's doesn't matter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">