• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

wrongful termination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

melanie1977

What is the name of your state?North Carolina
I live in a at will state. I was wondering I have been out of work about a month with a back condition. This past week my supervisor called and told me they were realigning my position and they basically didn't need me anymore. Well they wanted to keep ma so they offered me another position but the only catch to this position was that I would lose my health insurance because this position they offered me doesn't come with health benifits. So with all my doctor and hospital bills and MRI and CT now I'm going to have no health insurance. Can they do that and is there anything I can do about it?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Nothing in your post is a clear indication of a wrongful term.

However, there is some fairly significant information missing from your post which, depending on the answers, might or might not give you some legal recourse.

Please answer the following questions:

1.) How long have you worked for this employer?
2.) How many employees does your employer have within 75 miles of your location?
3.) Did you work a minimum of 1,250 hours within the last 12 months?
4.) How much work, IN TOTAL, did you miss within the last 12 months for this or any medical condition?
5.) Does your doctor anticipate your being able to return to work? If so, when?
6.) If so, does your doctor anticipate your being able to return to full duty or are there likely to be restrictions?
7.) Is your back condition likely to interfer with a major life function?
8.) If so, will the interference likely be temporary or permanent?

You do not necessarily have any legal recourse at all, but there are two separate laws that MIGHT have been violated. The questions will determine the next step.

gwm65

cbg said:
Nothing in your post is a clear indication of a wrongful term.

However, there is some fairly significant information missing from your post which, depending on the answers, might or might not give you some legal recourse.

Please answer the following questions:

1.) How long have you worked for this employer?
2.) How many employees does your employer have within 75 miles of your location?
3.) Did you work a minimum of 1,250 hours within the last 12 months?
4.) How much work, IN TOTAL, did you miss within the last 12 months for this or any medical condition?
5.) Does your doctor anticipate your being able to return to work? If so, when?
6.) If so, does your doctor anticipate your being able to return to full duty or are there likely to be restrictions?
7.) Is your back condition likely to interfer with a major life function?
8.) If so, will the interference likely be temporary or permanent?

You do not necessarily have any legal recourse at all, but there are two separate laws that MIGHT have been violated. The questions will determine the next step.
***BE CAREFUL*** CBG is an HR person with an obvious bias for employers. Just keep an open mind and know you may have to look elsewhere for an unbiased answer.

nohr4u1yr

Just another HR Person...

gwm65 said:
***BE CAREFUL*** CBG is an HR person with an obvious bias for employers. Just keep an open mind and know you may have to look elsewhere for an unbiased answer.
gwm65 - your statement doesn't make sense - CBG's questions are to see if the company must meet the guidelines for following FMLA (family medical leave act) rules/guidelines which protects the employee. It has nothing to do with being biased.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">