• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrongful termination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

maxwellns

What is the name of your state?Pennsylvania.

I worked for a corporate hospital however I worked under the supervision of a doctor (who sat on the Board of Directors) who was an independent cotnractor (not a hospital employee). According to his contract he has no direct authority over employees nor is he allowed to disciple. FOr some time I was protected by my manager (hospital employee). However, after she left, I encountered major problems with the doctor. He's Indian and I am an African aMerican female. He has been known to make comments regarding African Americans and Americans. After making several documented complaints to HR, Administration, etc, I was subjected to retaliation, harassment and a hostile work environment. They often attempted to use intimidation tactions to quiet me. I was written up several times f(by the doctor) for things that were proven to be unwarranted. After having words with a co-worker (witnesses around) and stating to her "if I was a child you would have been slapped by now". She said "are you threating me" and I said "no" and walked away. I was terminated at the end of the day, the following day.

Upon investigation, whenever a "threat" is made, the employee is supposed to be allowed to give his/her side of the story. Thsi was not done. And as you can see, what I said was not a threat ("IF" I were a child) I have contacted a federal agency and a hearing was held. I am currently in the process of settling for my loss wages. However, is there any way I can file a civil suit against the doctor as he is an independent contractor?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">