• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrongful termination??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CALv22

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? CALIFORNIA

A friend of mine is an undocumented immigrant here in the U.S. and has been working for the same man since he arrived over 15 years ago. He has been working for this man since the beginning of his business in 1986 and was his first employee!! The business is now a large multi-location business in Los Angeles. He recently hired a new accountant who has been telling him how to run the business. Several of their workers are undocumented and now this accountant has convinced the owner to fire my friend (and as far as I know, the 3 or 4 others without documentation). Is there anything my friend can do or does he have no rights what-so-ever?

Please, keep personal opinions to yourselves.. I don't need to be harassed with dozens of postings about how much you hate immigrants. Be respectful please.

pattytx

To my recollection, there has been no amnesty offerings since 1986, when the Employment Verification requirement went into effect for employers. Your friend should contact an attorney versed in immigration matters. This may be way to complicated for this board. However, since the act was effective in 1986 and your friend has been working for this employer for 15 years, the employer has been in violation of the act since hiring this individual.

Beth3

Several of their workers are undocumented and now this accountant has convinced the owner to fire my friend (and as far as I know, the 3 or 4 others without documentation). Is there anything my friend can do or does he have no rights what-so-ever? Your friend has the same rights now as he has had for the past 15 years, which is to apply for a work visa, permanent resident status, and/or U.S. citizenship. He has no rights regarding his employment status however. Your friend being terminated because he is working in this country unlawfully, even after 15 years, was legal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">