• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrongful Termination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

marylouthomas

What is the name of your state? Nevada
My husband started a new position with the same company he has worked for, for 15 years. They transfered him to a new town to start a new postion as shift supervisor. We had been living in this small town for about 2 months. And last weekend my husband was at the local bar with friends playing pool, when one of the guys girlfriend claimed my husband said something that offended her. The boyfriend of the woman didn't think it was anything, but another guy they were with started a fight with my husband, this is someone who worked under my husband. He called my husband out, and of course the cops showed up, but while they where outside, the guy got up in my husbands face, so my husband shoved him. Neither party was arrested or thrown out of the bar.The next day the guy my husband shoved ran out to work and talked to the big bosses. And said my husband threatened him with his job. So my husband was suspended for a day, he went back into to the meeting the nexy morning, and told him what happened that night was really no big deal, but they did some digging and found something else out. My husband had no idea of what that could be. But 2 months ago, he was at a mining expo with some fellow workers, and afterwards went to a dinner thrown by one of the venders. After that the 4 of them went to a bar, and the HR woman that was with them claimed that my husband touched her wrong, all he did was put his arm around her, like you do when you are out partying with friends. Well, we never heard about this incident until now. He was never approached or talked to about this. They waited 2 months after this was suppose to happen. We feel as though someone out there didn't like him wanted him gone. My questions is, when someone feels they are sexually harrassed, especially an HR person, they know to report this right away. Can they fire him for this legally? She waited 2 months after the fact to mention it. When my husband asked if this was documented they said yes, he said since when Tuesday of the August. It just doesn't seem right that she all of a sudden brings this up now, and didn't bother to file a report when it happened. We have talked to a few people and they all say it sounds like crap! Which I believe also. My husband worked for this company for 15 years, he never once was accused of this before. Something stinks in nevada!!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yes, they can fire him for this legally.

You might not be aware that the law gives an employee in some cases as much as 300 days after an act of discrimination or harassment to report it to an outside agency, and there is no limit to the length of time an employee can wait to report it internally. The company, or the agency, is free to consider the length of time taken to report it in assessing the credibility of the report, but nothing whatsoever in the law says that if it isn't reported immediately, they can take no action against the accused.

Nice to see you back, SJ.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">