• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is This Wrongful Termination?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

WhimsicalMe

What is the name of your state? California

My friend's son was assaulted at work and when he refused to work with this employee he got fired. The man who assaulted him still is employed and my son's friend is now out of a job. Can a person be forced to work with someone that has assaulted them? Is there any recourse?

BelizeBreeze

WhimsicalMe said:
What is the name of your state? California

My friend's son was assaulted at work and when he refused to work with this employee he got fired. The man who assaulted him still is employed and my son's friend is now out of a job. Can a person be forced to work with someone that has assaulted them? Is there any recourse?
You are not getting the entire story and no, this is NOT (as you posted) wrongful termination.

WhimsicalMe

Both Parties Were Written Up and Warned

Sockeye said:
What action was taken after the assault?
What I do know is that both the man who assaulted the other was written up. But because the one that was assaulted refused to work with the one who hit him, he refused to work with him. The police were called and took a report to from both employees. Can a person be forced to work together?

BelizeBreeze

If one person refuses to work with another, regardless of the circumstances, then yes, he can be fired.

In fact, he can be fired for fighting, for causing a fight, for being beaten up, for beating up someone, for farting, for playing word games or because the boss didn't get laid that morning.

NO ONE without a valid union or employment contract has the RIGHT to a job.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
A wrongful termination means that the employee was fired for a reason that is prohibited by law.

Since no law exists to the effect that you cannot be fired for refusing to work with someone, even if he assaulted you, this is not a wrongful termination.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">