• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

wrongful termination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

robenoit

What is the name of your state? texas
i know that i was wrongfully terminated by due process. i worked at a large university and my immediate supervisor began harrassing me when a coworker graduated and she wanted to put her in my position. it was quite obvious. i notified our director of her harrassment, the HR director so both were aware. my supervisor did my eval. and overall it came down to i was probably 2% competent to do my job. i had been there 10 months, no write up, nothing in my personnel file to lead to the conclusion i was having any problems. she even came right out in from of our employee relations asst. director and said she did not want me working there. i have so much documentation on her harassment. the way the director and her went about terminating me and not following the university's rules and regulations. it is my understanding that if a company has apolicy manual for handling such situations then they better follow them. we went through mediation and i am awaiting for results. i am told that i don't have a case for eeoc because i cannot say her abuse was base on race or sex etc. but my complaint included harassment, coersion, verbal abuse, humiliation, aa very hostile work environment for me as i dreaded seeing my supervisor. from the stress that woman put me though it affected my health and the quality of life for me and my children as i am a single parent. my director would call me and ask if i wanted to come down and talk to her about it. "IT" being resigning or being fired. i would tell her i am not quitting i have 3 children. most of the things i have stated and left out are in the university's policy manual. and it states that " it will not tolerate any of these actions by anyone student, staff, admin, etc". it also recognizes other forms of other types of harassment other than sexual than any normal person would deam inappropriate and have a tangible affect on that person. i cannot prove discrimination to get eeoc involved, but i can't let this go. they were in the wrong it is in black and white in their own policies. please help me with what i can do. a local lawyer here feels i have nothing. help!!

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It is not illegal for a manager to be a jerk, and it is not illegal for an employer to fire someone in order to hire a friend. Maybe it should be, but it isn't.

A hostile work environment has a very specific legal definition. If you were not being subjected to either sexual harassment or illegal discrimination under Title VII and related laws (race, gender, etc.) then you were not in a hostile work environment under the law, no matter how unpleasant it might have been.

I am not unsympathetic, but nothing in your post suggests that you were wrongfully terminated. Unfairly possibly, but unfair is not the same as illegal.

jude47

i understand

robenoit said:
What is the name of your state? texas
i know that i was wrongfully terminated by due process. i worked at a large university and my immediate supervisor began harrassing me when a coworker graduated and she wanted to put her in my position. it was quite obvious. i notified our director of her harrassment, the HR director so both were aware. my supervisor did my eval. and overall it came down to i was probably 2% competent to do my job. i had been there 10 months, no write up, nothing in my personnel file to lead to the conclusion i was having any problems. she even came right out in from of our employee relations asst. director and said she did not want me working there. i have so much documentation on her harassment. the way the director and her went about terminating me and not following the university's rules and regulations. it is my understanding that if a company has apolicy manual for handling such situations then they better follow them. we went through mediation and i am awaiting for results. i am told that i don't have a case for eeoc because i cannot say her abuse was base on race or sex etc. but my complaint included harassment, coersion, verbal abuse, humiliation, aa very hostile work environment for me as i dreaded seeing my supervisor. from the stress that woman put me though it affected my health and the quality of life for me and my children as i am a single parent. my director would call me and ask if i wanted to come down and talk to her about it. "IT" being resigning or being fired. i would tell her i am not quitting i have 3 children. most of the things i have stated and left out are in the university's policy manual. and it states that " it will not tolerate any of these actions by anyone student, staff, admin, etc". it also recognizes other forms of other types of harassment other than sexual than any normal person would deam inappropriate and have a tangible affect on that person. i cannot prove discrimination to get eeoc involved, but i can't let this go. they were in the wrong it is in black and white in their own policies. please help me with what i can do. a local lawyer here feels i have nothing. help!!
I understand . If the company has policies and procedures for employee hiring and firing then why is it that it can't be used in a court of law ?? It seems the law has forgotten it's people.

BelizeBreeze

jude47 said:
I understand . If the company has policies and procedures for employee hiring and firing then why is it that it can't be used in a court of law ?? It seems the law has forgotten it's people.
Oh brother! :rolleyes:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Company policy is not law. Your employer is required to follow the law. They are not required to follow their own policies.

jude47

??

cbg said:
Company policy is not law. Your employer is required to follow the law. They are not required to follow their own policies.
Why do the companies have the policies ? If the law states that the company is basically off the hook for everthing why bother with policy and procedures for HUMAN RESOURCES. I would like your profession answer to this question. If the company does not need to follow the grievence procedure, why would they bother to have one ?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Because it's impossible to have a policy that covers each and every situation that could possibly come up, and there are going to be situations where following the policy is not an appropriate response to the situation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">