• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrongful Termination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SECRID

What is the name of your state? California

An associate that was in hardware at Walmart, was messing with a CO2 tank. He had a hammer and some gloves. I have no idea what he was doing. As I was walking by, a manager was approaching this associate. He immediately told me and the associate to go to the office. He talked to me first, without the other associate. I stated several times that I had nothing to do with it. The manager kept saying to me "don't insult my intelligence". With another manager standing at the door, he forced me to sign a termination paper (and would not allow me to leave until I did sign) and refused to pay me any final wages (he said they had 24 hours to pay me). I was also told that if I returned to the store they would call the police. The associate was taken in the office, where he told them I had nothing to do with what he was doing. He also wrote up what he had done and on his statement said I was not involved. Once I got home, I called the district manager. He was not in, so I left a message for him regarding what had happened and also that they did not give me my final paycheck. I received a call from his office within a few hours. They told me to go back to Walmart and pick up my paycheck. The district manager has never called me back. I am still trying to get someone from Walmart to talk to me. As this is being written, I was told someone would call me back today. This is a very serious accusation and I have been treated unfairly. I am a college student and have worked at Walmart part-time for 2 years. Would this be a case based on defamation of character? If there was ever an extensive background check, would this show up and ruin my chances for employment? I really want to clear my name.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You may have been unfairly terminated, but you have not been wrongfully terminated. A wrongful termination under the law does not mean you were fired for something you didn't do; it means you were fired for a reason that is prohibited by law. The law does not prohibit your employer for firing you for suspicion of wrongdoing, even if the employer is mistaken and you are totally innocent.

You have not asked a legal question (or a question of any kind) but if you want to know whether you have any legal recourse, the answer is that you do not. And believe me, I detest WalMart and if there were even a remote possibility that you had any legal recourse, I would tell you so.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">