• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

wrongful termination?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lstanton

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Indiana
I have been employed as a supervisor at a small company for over 3 years. I have been successful in the performance of my job as indicated by high marks on my previous performance appraisals. Recently a new Director was hired and within 3 months, I was terminated for poor job performance.
I was given no notice or warning. Our employee handbook states that the company will follow a progressive discipline procedure on poor performance.
I am 57 years old and suspect that the new Director (mid 30s) is concerned about supervising an older manager. Is this substance for a wrongful termination case?

HomeGuru

Lstanton said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Indiana
I have been employed as a supervisor at a small company for over 3 years. I have been successful in the performance of my job as indicated by high marks on my previous performance appraisals. Recently a new Director was hired and within 3 months, I was terminated for poor job performance.
I was given no notice or warning. Our employee handbook states that the company will follow a progressive discipline procedure on poor performance.
I am 57 years old and suspect that the new Director (mid 30s) is concerned about supervising an older manager. Is this substance for a wrongful termination case?
**A: no, not on the surface.

Last edited:

Beth3

Is this substance for a wrongful termination case? Only if you were terminated because of your age or for some other prohibited reason. If the new Director felt you did a poor job, terminating you for that reason is not illegal even if it was a lousy deal for him not to advise you of any performance problems so that you had a chance to address them.

Lstanton

I appreciate that rudeness is tolerated in the workplace. However, most people these days are alert enough not suggest that a termination could be for age based bias. Even if it was, I am sure they would point to other factors. Thus, the other factors would be job performance and if the company had a policy of progressive discipline to improve job performance, I think a definite short cut was taken in the termination.

Beth3

The employer not following their own progressive disciplinary policy does not make a termination wrongful. Unfair perhaps but not illegal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">