• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrongful Termination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

moonguia

California -

Working for a telecommunications company I was terminated because during an investigation that asset protection was handleling in regards to a check fraud scam that some employees commited I was found a participant, although no fraud was commited in my part and I was not accused of any fraud by the bank, the employer fire me due to a code of conduct violation. I unknowingly tried to cash a check for a friend of mine in my back, presented my ID and gave all my account information, not knowing that the check was fradulent. The guy later gets caught and I get fired because the teller had my info on that previous attempt which by the way was not completed and the check did not get cashed.

Was I a victim of a wrongful termination?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No, you were not. Many people misunderstand what is meant by a wrongful termination. It does not mean that you were fired for something you did not do - it means a specific law exists that prohibits the employer for firing you for the reason they did.

moonguia

was the termination fair and legal?

:confused:
Although I was not aware of what this people were doing and I did not commit any crimes, was I still binding to lose my employment for this reason??

justalayman

moonguia said:
Although I was not aware of what this people were doing and I did not commit any crimes, was I still binding to lose my employment for this reason??

It looks like they were simply trying to protect their ass(ets). :D

It may seem not fair to you but it was not illegal.
They do not need a reason to fire you and as long as the did not break the law when they did fire you (which they didn't based on your post).

A company often rids itself of workers they see as "possible problems" to prevent future problems.

HomeGuru

moonguia said:

**A: your so called friend got you fired. Think about it.

Gadfly

I unknowingly tried to cash a check for a friend of mine in my back, presented my ID and gave all my account information
How did you unknowingly go the the bank and give them your information. You may not have known the check was bad, but you knew what you were doing!

If you still consider this person a friend, you've got BIG problems.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
was I still binding to lose my employment for this reason??

I don't know what you mean by this but if you are asking if it was legal to terminate you for this reason, yes, it was. It may not have been fair. But it was legal. And no, you do not have any legal recourse.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">