• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrongful termination?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

spider

What is the name of your state? California

My husband has been told by his California employer that he must relocate to California to keep his job. But he was also told by his boss (in confidence) that his job would be eliminated so he should not consider relocation. Now his boss has asked him to write a job description so that a replacement can be hired! He has had nothing but glowing performance reviews, even received a bonus this month. Is this a wrongful termination even though California is an "at will" state?

seniorjudge

spider said:
What is the name of your state? California

My husband has been told by his California employer that he must relocate to California to keep his job. But he was also told by his boss (in confidence) that his job would be eliminated so he should not consider relocation. Now his boss has asked him to write a job description so that a replacement can be hired! He has had nothing but glowing performance reviews, even received a bonus this month. Is this a wrongful termination even though California is an "at will" state?
Sounds pretty crappy to me.

Has he considered filing a complaint with these folks?

http://www.dir.ca.gov/

Stand by for other opinions.

spider

And it gets worse! He was only offered California for his relocation option, but another employee was allowed to relocate to the midwest and was going to manage my husband's workload, until they made the new decision to backfill his position...

I am concerned that the At Will provisions will keep us from having a decent case.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
A wrongful termination exists ONLY when there is a specific law that prohibits an employer from terming an employer from terming you for the reason they did.

Nothing in either of your posts gives your husband a case for wrongful termination.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">