• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this wrongful termination?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CJane

What is the name of your state? MO

My sister was recently let go from her position of 9 years.

My sister has been hanging out before work (going to the gym, etc) with another female employee. My sister is a lesbian, this other employee is not. The boss recently began asking the other employee if my sister was 'trying to convert her' or was making her feel uncomfortable.

The boss has also recently asked my sister to 'act less like a lesbian' even though her behavior hasn't changed in the 9 years she's worked for this company. It's not as if she suddenly started trolling for women at work - she's been in a committed relationship for 12 years.

Last week, the boss called her in at the end of the day and told her that he was eliminating her position and she needed to seek other employment. Missouri is an at-will state, so I know he didn't owe her a reason at all, but he did give her that much of one.

What I want to know, for her information, is whether or not she's have a case for wrongful termination given his recent interest in and apparent problem with, her sexuality.

I don't know if it's relevant or not, but the boss also recently gave several employees raises, and one of them a 'one time cash bonus'. Every female employee in the store was given this raise or bonus except my sister.

The male employees were given no raises or bonuses.

It's clear to me (given a little more history than y'all have) that his manager is extremely unethical in his employment practices, but I know that being unethical doesn't = illegal behaviors.

Help?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Unfortunately, no. Sexual orientation is not protected under either Federal or Missouri law.

There are states where, if it could be shown that she was termed BECAUSE OF her sexual orientation, it *would* be a wrongful term, and I personally believe that it should be protected everywhere. But neither the Federal government nor the Missouri legislature agrees with me. So this is not a wrongful term in Missouri.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">