• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrongful termination?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mr574

What is the name of your state? Florida
During my lunch 2 months ago I went into the employee lounge to check my email while a lady was right behind me. Checked email and unknown to me it had a nude image. As soon as I glimpsed image, I deleted email. Went to a Christian email and printed it. When I returned from lunch manager took me into room and told me because of company policy they must let me go. Accused me of printing nude image. I said I did not and he did not ask me to show him printout. Said they could check computers to see image and how long I viewed it. I said go ahead, and they did not. They went to speak to human resources, and came back saying to walk me out. When I finally got in contact with Human resources was told that A) They did not know it was me, a long tenured employee with an excellent record B)That I was lying about the incident , c) I printed the nude material and D) the buliding/top manager supported him, even though I never spoke to him. If that was the only information given to human resources how is that fair?
For well over a year I have had to speak about to human resources for several problems with management including going to church on Sunday, having to work with a hostile co worker, being treated unfairly, and constantly being harrassed for working overtime even when I recieved managerial permission like they asked me too. And managers continually made it clear they were unhappy about that.
Unemployment was given to me when they judged "discharge was for reason other than misconduct connected with work" Was receiving unemployment until I recently got noticed that they are appealing it. Letter sent with their appeal states "I was observed viewing nude women" and "violation of sexual harrassment"

Now knowing all of this do I have a case against them? For defamation of character, slander....Should they be allowed to halt my unemployment?

moburkes

Nope, none of the above. Terminating you because they thought you printed it is not illegal. Terminating you because you are a woman, you are Asian, etc, is considered "wrongful".

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Nothing you have posted provides you with any legal recourse. They may have been mistaken about which e-mail you printed out but that does not give you a claim for defamation or slander. The fact is, you WERE seen viewing a photo of a nude woman, by your own description. That this is not the e-mail you printed out does not make the fact that the first e-mail you looked at had such a photo, untrue.

Your employer does not decide whether you collect unemployment or not. They have the right to appeal, even as you would have the right to appeal if the decision went against you. The state, and only the state, makes the final decision.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">