• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrongful Termination?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Billy_D

What is the name of your state? Michigan

Hello Everyone..
This happened while I was living in Michigan in 2003. I was working for a gov't agency and belonged to a Union. (Don't know if that will matter or not).

I was terminated for wrongful computer use. Here's the background story. I was working in department "A" (I'll call it "A" for simplicity). We didn't have a computer use policy and I never signed one when hired. There were several people in department "A" that downloaded music, movies, etc. Our managers knew we were doing this and even some of them did it too. It was one of the benefits of working for the department because we weren't monitored.

Later, the state went through a re-orginization and I got transferred to department "B". I was allowed to take my pc and equipment with me to my new location. Moving to this new department placed me onto a network that apparently is/was being monitored, unbeknownced (sp?) to me. Again, I was never given a AUP to sign. I continued to use my computer as 'normal' and I was busted for it. A week before I was let go, or knew I was in trouble, we had a team meeting stating that we would be given AUP's to sign. So, they must have given those AUP's after I was fired.

Anyone know if I would have had a case? Do I still have a case after almost 5 years?

Any info would be appreciated.
Thank you!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Confrming that it was not wrongful termination and that even if it were, you've waited too long to do anything about it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">