• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrongful termination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tmac061803

What is the name of your state? Minnesota

I recently was let go by an employer that I have worked with for over 4 years. I looked on the schedule and my name was no longer there. I called my manager, and I didn't receive an answer. One of my co-workers was the one to tell me that I have been terminated. My question is, have I been wrongfully terminated? I have done absolutely NOTHING wrong at this place. I have never been written up, never been late, never call in sick for all the years I have worked there. They sat down with me once and told me that I need to stop chatting with other employees, so I changed that and shoo everyone away when they come by me. We have another employee that is the big mouth/ joker of the group and never gets into trouble for the innappropriate jokes he tells (this is everyday). There is only one reason why they wanted me gone, and it's because I am friends with one of the manager's ex-wife whom the owner + family HATES. I wanted to hear someone elses' opinion on this before I take any action.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Nothing you have posted supports a claim of wrongful termination, which means being termed for a reason that violates the law. No law prohibits them from terming you because you are friends with someone upper management hates. It may be unfair but it is not illegal.

Beth3

There is only one reason why they wanted me gone, and it's because I am friends with one of the manager's ex-wife whom the owner + family HATES. Even if that's the reason, it's a legal one. An employer doesn't need a good reason to fire someone; they just need a reason that's not prohibited.

I wanted to hear someone elses' opinion on this before I take any action. There's no action for you to take other than applying for unemployment benefits and start looking for a new job.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">