• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrongful termination?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jlx

Colorado -

I have a question regarding my girlfriend's termination of employment. She was just fired today, and they say that she had three complaints against her this week. She was only made aware of one complaint, and additionally the manager firing her chooses not to tell her when she does something wrong at work. She ends up finding out through this manager's friends which tell her about these things outside of work. Is this termination wrongful?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No. A wrongful termination does not mean what most people think it means. It does not mean that the termination was unfair, unjust or unexpected; it does not mean that the termination violated company policy; it does not mean that she was fired for something she did not do; it does not mean that she was not given any warnings or notice.

To qualify as a wrongful termination, there must be a specific law that prohibits the employer from terming the employee for the reason they did.

No law in any state prohibits the employer from terming an employee due to complaints, regardless of whether the employee was given prior notice of the complaints or not. No law in any state requires an employee be given warnings of any kind before they can be fired.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">