• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrongful Termination?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cresha270

What is the name of your state? FL

I was recently laid off from my job. The reason given was that due to restructuring, my position had been eliminated. This came as a shock because two days before, I began doing the new job I had just been promoted to. My company is in the midst of a class action suit, in which I have been contacted by the Attorney General to make a statement. How would I know if my company is an "at will" company? I've just learned that they have been methodically releasing people and it may have something to do with the multiple lawsuits being filed against the company. Do I and my fellow employees have any options?:confused:

mlane58

Unless you have a bona fide contract or are part of a collective bargaining unti (Union) you are an at-will employee.

Sray_86

Hate to say it

I hate to say it but Florida is a "right-to-work" state. That means that all employees are "at-will." Typically it will state that in your application or in the paperwork you had to sign when you were hired. There are no unions in the state of Florida except for government workers. There are some exceptions to that rule, but overall the Florida state law doesn't really permit them. The only reason I know this is because I had a few cases of wrongful termination in Florida and there was nothing anybody could really do about it. As for the information about unions, just threw that in, and I only know that because my step-father worked for the Air Force as a civilian and when he retired and started working for a contractor out there his coworkers were not permitted to start a union.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Right to work means you cannot be required to join a union to get work. It has nothing whatsoever to do with at-will employment.

49 out of 50 states are at least nominally at-will, and the 50th state (Montana) recognizes the at-will doctrine in some circumstances. Since Montana is not a right to work state, it can truthfully be said that all right to work states are also at will states. But there is no connection between the two.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I hate to say it but Florida is a "right-to-work" state. That means that all employees are "at-will." Typically it will state that in your application or in the paperwork you had to sign when you were hired. There are no unions in the state of Florida except for government workers. There are some exceptions to that rule, but overall the Florida state law doesn't really permit them. The only reason I know this is because I had a few cases of wrongful termination in Florida and there was nothing anybody could really do about it. As for the information about unions, just threw that in, and I only know that because my step-father worked for the Air Force as a civilian and when he retired and started working for a contractor out there his coworkers were not permitted to start a union.
I'm sure the Federal Government would be interested in Florida outlawing unions... :rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">