• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

wrongful termination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ssyr5860

What is the name of your state? TX

What is the name of your state? TX

I work for an immigration law firm in TX as an office manager and I am with the company for over 1.8 years. Very recently, the Principle Attorney who runs the firm hired an ex -employee of 5 months( who used to be his secretary cum executive assistant) as a new firm administrator after resignation of the then administrator. This was not well taken by the staff. every body new that this person's only competency was the closeness to the boss but not the capabilities to the run the firm.. Well, to cut the long story short, last week I was sick and the same day I had an argument with this person on an official matter and offended by the unruly and unprofessional behavior of this person i submitted my leave application for two days ( out of 9 days of leave i have for this year) who accepted it and I walked out of the office. Subsequently I sent an e-mail to the boss to keep him in the loop and requested a meeting with him on the 25th ( the day I would return to work)to explain the situation. I also made a call to him and which he didn't pick up . On 24th night at 10.00pm I receive an e-mail from him stating that my exit was inappropriate and with the consultation with the administrator( obviously this person had carried tales) ,he thinks it is better for me to take leave of absence for a month and at the end of it if I and him decide that my services will be needed he will then talk about a new arrangement. He also tells me to make the necessary arrangements to comply with this decision. I have no idea what this means.. Can some one please advise me as to what is the responsibility of the employer in situations like this- I assumed that I was entitled to my leave and I can take it as and when I require. Can some one ask you to go on leave of absence for a month because i took 2 days of leave ?? IS he expected to pay me compensation for leave of absence oris he expected to take me back on the job. Is there a way I can fight for justice. This firm has violated labor laws in one too many ways in the past by hiring employees unauthorized to work in the US, paying them cash, avoiding tax , not paying over time..etc etc. Employee retention is alarmingly bad. in 1.8 years I have seen 32 people resigning . IS there a forum where I can bring this to the labor dept's attention?? Please advise.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I assumed that I was entitled to my leave and I can take it as and when I require.

You assumed wrongly. An employer is not obligated to approve leave whenever you want to take it. Unless you are talking about medical leave AND medical leave that is covered under FMLA, the employer was free to deny leave. It is not your right to take it whenever you please.

las365

Here's the bottom line: The firm's principal attorney hired someone he likes to be the firm administrator. You were disgruntled by this and even though as office manager you are supposed to be part of the management team, you gossiped with "everyone" about how her only qualification was "closeness" with the boss. You were insubordinate and argumentative with her and then announced that you were taking paid leave without prior notice.

I'm surprised that you are suspended instead of fired. Obviously he is hoping you will go away instead of trying to return.

If you were so bothered by the alleged illegal employment practices, I don't know why you continued to work there. Feel free to report the firm to the TWC. They also have job placement assistance (hint hint).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">