• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrongful Termination?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nrob2006

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington State
I retired from the military after 26 years in February 2009. I joined a very small company (2 owners and 3 technicians (including me)) at the beginning of March. They hired me to set up a Quality Management System and help them gain accreditation. They placed me on a 90-day probation, and at the end of the probation period (June 2nd) gave me a luke warm performance review and extended my probation period another 90 days. I did not agree with the review but decided I was so happy to have a job that I would not challenge it and would just work that much harder. On July 17th I came to work and worked a full day and at the end of my shift the boss told me that I was not performing up to standards and fired me on the spot (no notice). I never received any feedback. The only feedback that I got was the performance review in June and the firing on the 17th. I found out that they had arranged a merge with another company who already had a Quality Management System/Accreditation and so they didn't need me anymore. I believe that at the time that I was hired (or shortly there-after) I was their back-up plan just in case the merger fell through. The boss stated that since I was still on probation that they were not required to give me any notice.
Is this true? Do I have any case here for wrongful termination? Lawyer fees start at $150/hour so I wanted to find out if I had a case before I spent the money, as money is VERY tight now!

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington State
I retired from the military after 26 years in February 2009. I joined a very small company (2 owners and 3 technicians (including me)) at the beginning of March. They hired me to set up a Quality Management System and help them gain accreditation. They placed me on a 90-day probation, and at the end of the probation period (June 2nd) gave me a luke warm performance review and extended my probation period another 90 days. I did not agree with the review but decided I was so happy to have a job that I would not challenge it and would just work that much harder. On July 17th I came to work and worked a full day and at the end of my shift the boss told me that I was not performing up to standards and fired me on the spot (no notice). I never received any feedback. The only feedback that I got was the performance review in June and the firing on the 17th. I found out that they had arranged a merge with another company who already had a Quality Management System/Accreditation and so they didn't need me anymore. I believe that at the time that I was hired (or shortly there-after) I was their back-up plan just in case the merger fell through. The boss stated that since I was still on probation that they were not required to give me any notice.
Is this true? Do I have any case here for wrongful termination? Lawyer fees start at $150/hour so I wanted to find out if I had a case before I spent the money, as money is VERY tight now!
Please don't waste your time or money pursuing a "wrongful termination" lawsuit. Your firing does not even come close. Washington is an at-will state.

Wrongful termination would be terminating your employment based on you gender, race, creed, or disability. You weren't fired for any of those reasons.

Beth3

I believe that at the time that I was hired (or shortly there-after) I was their back-up plan just in case the merger fell through. The boss stated that since I was still on probation that they were not required to give me any notice. Is this true? Yes. Even if you'd worked there twenty years, they still wouldn't be required to give you advance notice of your termination.

Do I have any case here for wrongful termination? Lawyer fees start at $150/hour so I wanted to find out if I had a case before I spent the money, as money is VERY tight now! No. Even if they hired you as their back-up plan pending the merger and subsequently terminated you because you became expendable, that is not unlawful.

A very sincere thank you for your many years of dedicated military service to our country. What you need to do now is file for unemployment benefits and start looking for a new job. Good luck to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">