• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrongful Termination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MarvelousOne87

Hi,i live in atlanta,ga.My g/f had a job at Marshall's.she got fired for not ringing an shirt up that was $25.She didn't know that she didn't ring the item up.They waited until the following week to interrogate her about it.She was ask to pay it back,she happily did so.At the end of the week when she went to collect her check they had a letter of separation waiting for her.The problem is that they put theft on her job record that stops her from getting a job anywhere!My question is what can we do to get it off?she was there 2 years without a problem!one slip and that's it?Please HELP!!!

Antigone*

Hi,i live in atlanta,ga.My g/f had a job at Marshall's.she got fired for not ringing an shirt up that was $25.She didn't know that she didn't ring the item up.They waited until the following week to interrogate her about it.She was ask to pay it back,she happily did so.At the end of the week when she went to collect her check they had a letter of separation waiting for her.The problem is that they put theft on her job record that stops her from getting a job anywhere!My question is what can we do to get it off?she was there 2 years without a problem!one slip and that's it?Please HELP!!!
Nothing you/she can do. One slip is all it takes in some places.

She can offer an explanation to perspective employers if and when they ask.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
First of all, this is not even close to a wrongful termination as defined by law.

What "job record" are you referring to? Contrary to popular belief, there is no easily accessible "job record" or data base that other employers can look up.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No. There is no law that she can use to force them to amend her personnel record with them.

I still don't have a clue what "background record" you are talking about. EXACTLY what did CVS send her?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No, it wasn't a criminal background check. Not unless she was arrested and charged with a crime.

Was she?

eerelations

I don't see any smart ass postings anywhere in this thread. The responders have been providing you with good and accurate legal advice. Just because it may not match what you've been telling your GF doesn't mean it's not true. If you'd wanted lies you should've said so in your first post.

So, was your GF arrested and charged with a crime?

Last edited:

commentator

One of the biggest delusions/urban legends that seems to be held by a whole lot of people is that there is some sort of universal data base of everybody's employment record out there somewhere. And that potential employers can check this.

I cannot count the calls we received at Labor in the course of a day, requests that we "...send me a copy of my work history, you know, everywhere I've ever worked, and the dates I worked there."

If you aren't keeping up with this, nobody is keeping up with it. Unemployment system keeps people's wage records by ss# and by quarter, a quarter rotates off each time one passes, so this is about 18 months back and NO ONE, no one except the individual or an affected employer can get any information about it. (And this only comes up when a claim is filed, you can't just call and check on it without a claim.)

Likewise social security, which keeps up with an individual's work for covered employers by year, not easy to obtain, and certainly not for the prospective employer.

A criminal background check will of course only bring up anything you have been actually charged with in the legal system. They would not have done this without your being aware of it.

So it sounds as though the only place this could be coming up is in the person's employment records with the individual company when they request a reference. What they have is that she was discharged for theft. She was. Even if there were a law, which there isn't, would they be supposed to lie? Some companies will only give out the dates a person worked there, and whether or not the person is eligible for re-hire, but this is not required legally.

The only thing she could possibly do is explain to the prospective employer what it is going to say beforehand, and try to cover what it says with an explanation pro-actively. She would, of course, want to point out to them that she had two years without a complaint or problem with this company.

Last edited:

ILEEO

I think I may understand the "job record" to which Marvelous keeps referring. Even though Marshalls did not prosecute they probably did enter her into a retail theft database. Most large retailers use these to catalog unprosecuted theft cases. CVS most likely ran her criminal background and her retail theft background as well, when they found a flag for retail theft they turned down her application.

Antigone*

I think I may understand the "job record" to which Marvelous keeps referring. Even though Marshalls did not prosecute they probably did enter her into a retail theft database. Most large retailers use these to catalog unprosecuted theft cases. CVS most likely ran her criminal background and her retail theft background as well, when they found a flag for retail theft they turned down her application.
Absolutely nothing illegal about that.:cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">